classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Hello from a new member
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
imfinlay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Hello from a new member Reply with quote

Hi all,

just joined having been browsing for a while. I've been a car nut for as long as I can remember. Currently I'm restoring a '57 Plymouth 4 door, a very rare right hand drive '64 Pontiac Parisienne convertible (one of 52 made) and keeping everything else running!

The Plymouth has been a bare metal resto on a very low mileage car, but the usual rust took hold in the floorpan at the front and the trunk floor, some dents and older repairs and so on. Mechanically she's good. Right now I'm tidying the electrics and reassembling trim and the front and rear valances.

The Pontiac has also been taken back to bare metal, fixed and painted but is on hold while I finish the Plymouth.

I used to have a '56 F100 pickup as well, but that got sold due to, er, family pressure! I have a bunch of NOS and repro spares for that which I'll put an ad for at some point.

I live in North London and have been active on the UK rock 'n' roll and jive scene for years.

I'll add some car pics when I get good enough weather to take the whole car cover off. Oh yes - I'm doing this all with no garage. I used to have a big double garage but we moved house some years back and that wasn't seen as a priority. Hmmmm.

Cheers all,

Ian
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. How about posting some photos of your restos? We like photos on here.....
imfinlay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one from a couple of months back:

Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you have a V8 in that, and not the 230 6 cylinder... Laughing
Scotty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Finlay. Wink

EDIT - Welcome Ian! Embarassed Wink

Last edited by Scotty on Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian, welcome to the forum, look forward to reading about the fleet Smile

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
imfinlay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys!

Yes Uncle Joe, it's the 301 V8 (actually 299.7 in reality) with a 2bbl and dual exhausts. Power steering, manual brakes, radio and, er, that's it.

It done 49,000 miles, I'm the 2nd owner as far as I can tell. It's from Norfolk, VA originally. I did a search some years ago and I believe the family that owned it still live at the same house. This is the 2nd time I've restored it, first time the paint fell off after 10 years and then my builder hit it with a truck, not too seriously, but it gave me the impetus to do it again. This time it was new floorpans, every removable panel blasted, quality bodywork, new brakes (again) and now I'm putting it back together.

Ian
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I know that engine. As you are probably aware, Plymouth had two versions of it in that year.
imfinlay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know that - there was the 301 and the 318, if that's what you mean, but I'm only aware of one version of the 301.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1957, Plymouth used 5 engines in their line up. Smallest was a 230" 132hp 6 cylinder. Next up was a 276" V8 with 197hp. Third was the 299.6" 235hp with a two bbl. Fourth was a 299.6" V8 with 215hp and a 2bbl. The final engine was the 290hp 318...

The 215hp motor was the one that was usually referred to as the 301, and found as standard in the Suburbans. In yours it was an option.
imfinlay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, thanks! I have no idea which 299.6 engine I have. Is there a way to tell?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming that the engine is absolutely original, the an easy way is the carburettor. If yours is the 2bbl Carter BBD 2512S, it makes it the 215hp Suburban motor, ie the optional motor with solid valve lifters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: