classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Petrol Tank Cleaning
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
hampshire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Petrol Tank Cleaning Reply with quote

I removed the petrol tank from the Bond Minicar this morning,it needs a good cleanout. It has had 2 stroke lying in it for the last 17 years ,its last tax disc expired 31.7.91.
I was thinking of sending for some Frosts "Marine Clean" has anyone used this or is there anything better
Thanks
Pete
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should post this today. I started to clean the tank out on my latest project this morning. Thats had petrol standing in it since 1974...

I used Muriatic Acid. always has worked, always will.....i bet I know what the next question will be.... Laughing
hampshire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you were right about the next question .What is Muriatic Acid and where would you get it.
Pete
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowadays, I get it from Garden Centres.....its the principle ingredient in GOOD Pond Cleaners. Muriatic acid is the old name for Hydrochloric acid.
hampshire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting but I think I might send for some Marine Clean.
Thanks
Pete.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to be a little bit old fashioned in things such as this. if I find something that works well, then I use it as long as it is available. Its good for removing chrystallised petrol in the tank as well...

Having said that, let us all know how marine clean works.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patio & brick cleaner has hydrochoric acid in it
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
hampshire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just cleaned the tank with Marine Clean I put it in yesterday and left it for 24hours,emptied it out and flushed it out with hot water. most of the dirt, rust and old 2 stroke has come out ,it has only left a bit behind.I have dried it a bit with a hair dryer and hopefully it will be completely dry for refitting at the weekend.

Pete
SloResto

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Marine Clean but only on panels. I tried some Acetone, solvent like they use in nail polish remover to clean some old tanks. Its quite good for removing old sludge and gunk from dehydrated petrol.

But its not particularly cheap.. just pour a litre or more in swirl around and aroumd and let sit for a couple of hours - make sure to plug up the filler hole to keep the fumes in... repeat as necessary!

Good luck with whatever you try!
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: petrol tank Reply with quote

Have you tried "Card & Choke Cleaner". Squirt a couple of tins into the tank. Seal all holes or you will be floating around your garage.
RotaryBri

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Petrol Tank Cleaning Reply with quote

hampshire wrote:
I removed the petrol tank from the Bond Minicar this morning,it needs a good cleanout. It has had 2 stroke lying in it for the last 17 years ,its last tax disc expired 31.7.91.
I was thinking of sending for some Frosts "Marine Clean" has anyone used this or is there anything better
Thanks
Pete

I see that you live in Birmingham. That's the right place for the Bond Club. I used to work for the Bond dealer there, County Cycle & Motor Company in Broad Street in the 50s and 60s. They sold the first Bond minicar ever made. I used to go up to Preston to the factory (Sharps Commercials) and collect them and drive them back to Brum. An interesting vehicle and much underated. I'm glad to see that you are getting it back on the road. If you need a handbook for the Villiers engine let me know as I have a full set up in the loft.
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow coincidental! I do love this forum!!

Shocked Laughing

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H2SO4

Sorry that is the only formula I remember from school, and I believe it is called Hydrochloric acid, don't ask the ryme for remembering it.... Laughing

Cheers

Dave
hampshire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions. The tank has now been cleaned with Marine Clean and it seems to have worked quite well but the petrol tap is now leaking I have tried new seals and washers but it still leaks.I am now waiting for another one from the spares section of the Bond Minicar club. While I am waiting I think I will have a go at repairing the hood a lot of the stitching has come out so if anyone knows whats best for stitching hoods could you please let me know.
I had three Bonds back in the 60s and remember the County in Broad Street well I always seemed to be there buying spare parts.
Pete
RotaryBri

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete,

I was at County, part time, whilst in the sixth form at Grammar School and during my Engineering apprenticeship from 1957 to 1964. If you bought one of your Bonds from there I might have sold it to you. Small world eh?

My wife and I go on holiday each year with the former sales director of County and his wife. We are always talking about the 'good old days' of the motor and motorcycle trade in Birmingham.

By the way I know that the vicar of a nearby village has a Bond.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: