classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

The Story of “Black Bessy” AC 2 Litre
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
The_ Yellow_Ardvark

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: The Story of “Black Bessy” AC 2 Litre Reply with quote

The Story of “Black Bessy”

How do you start one of these?
I have an idea!! Shocked Shocked

Hi!! I am The Yellow Ardvark, not to be confused with a common Aardvark I am The Only Yellow Ardvark I know. Very Happy

I have just brought an old AC for £20.

It is not a shed or a pile of bits…………yet. It is complete. Complete with pigeon poo, dust and a dead mouse. All the Mod Cons.

To date I have no idear the model, age or anything important like that, stuff like that can wait a few days, I need to see if it does anything, like move.

Sat 6th September 2008.

Pushed it out of the barn today, I was shocked to find none off the drums were sized on, nor was the clutch. A good sign?

In the cab was a disappointment, Mickey mouse was dead in the glove box in a nest of paper, we are praying to the Godess of Car mechanics’ that the nest was not the important paper work, sods law says it is. Ho Hum.
However, we did find the keys.

The mouse was buried, in its nest and along with a spanner, we found in the nest. Anything to appease the gods.

As on old hand of restoring S1 and S2 Land Rovers I learnt long ago to pray, curse and have temper fits to get my way.

Did it start?
Did it heck.
Did we try?
Yes we did.
Can you fix it?
Yes, we can.

The fuel pump points were stuck, as was the points in the distributor, the fuel filter was a fuel stop. Full of crap and stuff unknown.
The plugs were very sooty and very stuck. Nevertheless, with a 3-foot knuckle bar, Plus Gaz and a lot off working back and forth they were freed and cleaned, well bar one. The ungrateful bugger snapped. New plugs will be on order soon. Evil or Very Mad

The battery was more fur than anything else, but I did get a whole £1:50 and the scarp yard, but with a Jump pack the engine did turn over, No we didn’t try and start it as we knew we had a few issues, may be next weekend.
The Engine oil was drained, fresh added. We removed the rocker cover and poured new oil over the Top End, and we turned the engine over to allow the timing chain to be given a good covering of motorcycle chain lubrication.

In addition, the tyres still had about 12 psi in them and easily inflated to 30 psi.

This will continue until the car is fixed or I am in the happy home.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TYA,

Welcome to the forum.

An AC for £20! Was this a long time ago? Sounds like a superb bargain.

Can you post some pics?

Peter
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TYA, great intro!! if a saloon it sounds like it could be an AC 2 Litre, I've a great old b/w pic of one in a pile of papers here somewhere, I'll see if I can find it!

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
The_ Yellow_Ardvark

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Black Bessy Reply with quote

Today is a good day. It is raining and the wind blows straight up my…………

Drive and in through a gap.

Hands up you thought I was going to be rude.

I have good news about Black Bessy, the fuel pump is a pump and the filter is no longer a stop. All it took was a good clean out with fresh petrol and we are set for a go. The pump was a bit different. Striped and cleaned, it worked. To a fashion. An insulation test on the windings proved there was an earth leak internally.
Bugger!!!!

How ever, 90 minuets in the over at 70 deg. C and all is well. Old trick I learnt years ago. If you have an electric motor what is old and has internal issues, try drying it in an oven. Best place I used to find was under the grill whilst Sunday lunch was cooked. Try and hide it from “She who must be Obeyed”

Plus I know what the car is, AC 2 Litre Saloon. 2
door. Registered 1st Jan. 1952. Originally, black with red interior. Thank you Ian Strange.

I will be posting some pictures as soon as the Muppets remembers to take the camera along with good batteries in it.

That’s all FOLKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The_ Yellow_Ardvark

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLACK BESSY The Saga Part 3 I think.

13th September 08

It is alive. It is moving. Look at the hand!!!!!!!!!!!!. I have Made Life from the dead!!!!

HA HA HA HA HA.

The AC is alive and moves under her own power. Yes I got her working> SMUG here having a beer or 10.

All it took was fresh petrol, good battery and a hammer.
No. It was hard work, but fun. Good mates, Good Coffee, chocolate biccies and a hammer.
The points were stuck, the King lead was attached to rust in the coil and the float bowels were full of rubbish.

We cleaned all the electrical contacts up connected with charging and starting the engine. Most were good. The coil was not. The Coil lead was sat upon a nut, yes a 0 BA nut. Plus a shed full off rust. We cleaned it all up and offered a prayer to the gods. Oh, yes added 2 gallons off fuel. The pump, Filter and carbs were primed by connecting a batter charger to pump until it stopped pumping.

Here we go.

NO. We didn’t. But a blow, gentle with a 2 lb hammer the starter motor was all we needed. She turned ran on 2 cylinders then 3 the all 6. Yes, happy dances were seen by the neighbours. It lives.

The oil leak can wait.

We attacked the brakes, hydraulics fronts and mechanical rears. Knock me down with a feather. All good, no leaks and free to adjust. I think someone spent a lot of ££££££ b4 stuffing Bessy away. All they needed was to be glaze busted and re fitted.

Private land is good, no need for tax etc we drove Bessy, but all was not well in her exhaust.

Bollocks, was a word used. Lots. It seams in the past someone has added a lot off flexi pipe in the system. This is now in a bin marked scarp as it was more rust than metal.

Does any one have a drawing of the exhaust system?

Please.

I have pictures and will post, but I need a bath, a beer( well lots) and a curry.
Se you lot soon.
The_ Yellow_Ardvark

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go.
Pictures, I said I would I will and have.

Side view, just after we pushed it out of the barn. Help!!!! Why did I do this?

Do I neeeeeeeeeed Help?
Answers on a post card to. Funny farm, Nuts Vile. Insane land.

Here She is, in a dry workshop ready to set upon with spanners and love.
SV8Predator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looking good.

But then, I'm from Insaneland too and only I can see them! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant see thhe photos to this, so where are they?

As regards the exhaust, I just happen to know where this is a brand new one, but its in stainless. I think, but am not sure, that there is a fitting kit with it....
The_ Yellow_Ardvark

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: OOOOps Reply with quote

OK OK OK
I made a mucking fuddle on the pictures.
Sorrry
Blame me , me blame the beers, they said drink me drink me Laughing Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Laughing Laughing Shocked
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics of your new acquisition too Smile

I just added this period pic to the main site, in case you miss this link in the Links section:

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/ac-saloon.htm

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
The_ Yellow_Ardvark

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: The Story to date. Reply with quote

Black Bessy

The story of Black Bessy has taken a bad turn, so bad I almost inserted the car into a friend’s nose, via his anal passage. Long slow and painful I know but well worth it.

I knew the exhaust was thin and leaking, but after a few hours of work and drinking beer, it was leak free. We drank the beer to gives us some this sheet steel to allow patches to be made to seal the leaks.

Well that’s what we all told the Wife’s/Partners. In other words she who must be obeyed.

A Friend, we will stick with that term for now. Decided to use a crow bar to leaver the exhaust out of his way so he could clean the leaf springs up before wrapping them in “Denzel Tape”. Oh, he said I put a hole in the rear box. I will get a hammer and bash it back. He had levered against the box to give him more room. I wish I could repeat what I said.

But there is not enough space to do that.

Oh, it gets better. The trafficators were slow to work. I cleaned them up, with help. They weren’t perfect but they worked. He thought that they were sticking. He used a screwdriver to help them. The car had no battery fitted at the time. The car has aluminium body panels.

Can any one guess what happened?

Let me know if you can
So, PLEASE UNCLE JOE CAN YOU HELP ON THE EXHAUST PLEASE GOOD UNCLE JOE.

If not I need to make one.

The word I will use rhymes with “Rowlocks”

Apart fromk that all is good.

Any one need stuff turning up or machined try this place.
Holt Engineering, Midland Industrial Estate, Holt, Near Trowbridge. Wiltshire.
They made me 6 new exhaust studs in 5/16 BSF for £20 and they were sweet.

Now were is my 2 lb ball hammer Deep heat and a tight hole.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Story to date. Reply with quote

The_ Yellow_Ardvark wrote:
The car had no battery fitted at the time. The car has aluminium body panels.

Can any one guess what happened?

Well the trafficators have a lock mechanism on them so that they don't flap about whilst going over bumps etc so I would guess your friend attempted to lift the arm without activating the lock. This could mean that he exerted excessive force on the arm and broke the plastic and I guess since you mention aluminium bodywork he also bent that causing the paint to fall off.

Did I score any points?

If the car was mine I would explain to your friend that you have no wish to waste the limited stocks of trafficators and that his privileges will be withdrawn until he repairs the existing parts. The job of glueing broken plastic and straightening bent metal is all perfectly do-able but will definitely make him more careful next time.

Peter
The_ Yellow_Ardvark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH IT HURTS Reply with quote

Black Bessy

The saga continues. But not in the normal way, I know you are expecting a short review of the repair and restoration. However, I am not going to tell you.

Why?

2 reasons. One there is nothing to say and 2 there is nothing to say. I hear you say that is the same thing. It is. However, is important enough to say twice. No work was done due to a major infection in my left elbow. So bad, I was in hospital having treatment. Yes, it hurt, a lot.

The exhaust saga is on going. One company promised me they could do it if I supply the parts as a pattern, I agreed. No they didn’t make one. They had a range of odds and sods and they were trying, unsuccessfully to match up the parts. They were upset when I said it was a 1952 not a “52” plate car.

So now, next week it is a trip to Salisbury and 3 places that seam to know what they are talking about and are worth a closer look. Fingers crossed. They all knew what the car was and have all said they might to be able to do something.

DVLA is being good and supplying lots of advice, free. In addition, they have sent new documents for me to fill in to register the car. A good lady on the phone even called back after she couldn’t answer my question there and then.

Now a plug for a tool.

Blocked grease nipples are a royal pain in the ................................
Ask no question. But Mac Tools do a great well-made tool to rejuvenate them. It is well made and does the job well. It is a syringe you fill will light oil. Place over the nipple and tap the end with a hammer. It works very very well.

As the car is on a 1952 plate, can any one tell me the MOT regulations?
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to pass emissions. You don't need wipers or washers if your windscreen opens. Trafficators can remain as they are if working. Headlamps should be double dipping. Brakes, steering and structure much as with moderns but not usually as strict on brake efficiency or steering play in the box. Don't need seat belts.

Peter

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/contents.htm
The_ Yellow_Ardvark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last, things are almost well in my crazy little world.

No. Really. They are. The sun shines, the grass is cut, and my elbow allows me to work with out pain.

Had a good few days on Bessy, and things worked out well. Nothing broken and nothing thrown at wall or silly people. So me is smiling into a cold beer.

The trafficators, mmm, odd but now working. Removed them from the car and repaired the metalwork on the body, a nice easy job. Made a moulded dolly up out of a bit of oak and teased the bent panel into the right shape. As a help I used a hot water to help. It did it softened the paint, so only a bit or touch up needed.

As to the trafficators themselves. I cleaned them up lubricated were needed. I even cleaned out the area in the car to remove all the crap what was there, and there were lots, but I did find 3 Old pence, Hay Ho. As the trafficators them self’s. Off the car, they worked a treat, up down etc light on and off. However, on the car was different. Story

The things worked slow if at all. Check out the earth return, not good. So 2 new wires ran. Did it work?
Did it hell.
So check da Voltage, 12 volts. So whets wrong. Simple 12 volts, 2 amps through.
Bench test again, I am so good at removing those trafficators I can do it with my eyes closed.

I did it. Just to see if I could. I did.
On the bench, they pulled between 10 and 15 amps to hold it up and lit. Back into Bessy. Clean all the contacts up in that circuit, which was fun, another dead mouse.

Put it all back together, did they work?
Offside did.
Near side. No.

Go and have a beer, start point-by-point checking. Oh great fun. Cold Thursday night in the workshop alone. Not even the cat loved me. Call me Billy.

However, I did find the fault, a wire just in front of the rear seat had gone high resistance, bridge that and if by magic all worked.

So just because the tester says you have 12 volts or lights up, all ways check the current supply when dealing with odd electrical faults.

As to the exhaust, I have one being made in Salisbury, took the remains down to a Guy called Mike, a good price and a good record, but even better a good recommends from other people you used him in the past.

Oh yes, anyone knows about Old land rovers will know Pre production ones are like a certain material from a Rocking horse. Rare. My old past time was rebuilding Old Land Rover sand I still like to do that. But ££££££££ etc are a hold back. So when a friend/nutter/ bear companion asked me to go with him to look at an old Land rover I thought why not. I am glad I did He has found, if not a pre production one a very early one. It is not in 1 piece, the engine and gearbox are ion the back. However, watch this space.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: