classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Winter plans
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Winter plans Reply with quote

Although we're only just in to Autumn (in the UK at least Wink), winter isn't far away. I remember Brian M saying that he tries to plan a series of tasks to perform on his Volvo Amazon every winter, so that his car is back off the jacks and in full fitness in time for the Spring. Is anyone else here that organised? For my part I'd like to do some preventative anti-rust work under the black Devon, and try and get the A40 pickup something like readied for the road.

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
dalbuie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the little time I would have to use the Chevy Truck before the start of salt weather I'm planning to strip the engine, replace a few gaskets which 'perspire' slightly and give it a good clean up and paint.

Then a full underbody spray of Dynax.

I'll then be painting the outside of the cab and the front fenders - hopefully ready for a spring launch.

I won't be going to the extent that Tim has @ http://www.46chevytruck.com/ but it is something to aim for and a great read.

But over 8 years.....don't have that patience Smile
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Morris will be 70 next June and I want her back on the road for that anniversary.
Winter plans are to break the back of the project, which has ended up being a nut and bolt rebuild! albeit with a new body shell.

I’ll start a new post this week end
dalbuie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
which has ended up being a nut and bolt rebuild

Did it start like this, or just morf into a complete restore. I find it very difficult to stop taking things apart for cleaning and painting. Hope it's not just me...
Brian M

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick - me well organised?? That's a laugh, but as I said I do like to get major jobs done in the off-season and so far it has worked well in that during the show season, April - September I rarely have to do more than an oil change and check fluids and tyres.

Last winter I started on my front suspension, replacing bushes with poly-urethane and this winter i am going to finish the job at the same time cleaning and painting lower wishbones etc.

The other improvement I want to do this winter is to replace the 1970's glass sunroof with a genuine Webasto that I removed from a scrap Amazon earlier this year. But I may farm this out to someone with nerves stronger than mine who is prepared to cut the hole in the roof. This will be the first time in the past 15 years that ihave let anyone else touch my classics!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah a Webasto should look good in an Amazon - I heard of a one-owner S1 XJ12L a few months ago, low mileage yadda yadda but that had a glass pop-up roof in it, and the Webasto option seemed like the best idea for that one too. And yes, it'd be a brave person who opens up the roof of their car Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winter project? Me? Well the major one is build a new garage. I can't do much else until that's done, unfortunately I've got the building prevention department to deal with, otherwise know as the planners. I live near the Thames and they seem to think it's a flood zone, I could tell them it's not flooded in the 20 years I've lived here or I could tell them it's my car so it's my business if it gets wet but... you know jobsworths, so I've had to engage the services of a local hydrologist to tell them what I already know! Rolling Eyes
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is obviously the Traction, probably the engine and gearbox but when it gets really cold and we usually have -15 to-20 here in February I am going to remake the electric loom in the lounge.. already cleared it with the missus Laughing Embarassed

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
wrinx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already started on one of mine...my hand was forced as the turbo started blowing oil and the cooling needed careful attention Rolling Eyes

So the radiator is off, the turbo is off and in bits...and I've got some welding to do as well, on the floorpan.

....oh, and replace the inlet shims!

wrinx

ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalbuie wrote:
Quote:
which has ended up being a nut and bolt rebuild

Did it start like this, or just morf into a complete restore. I find it very difficult to stop taking things apart for cleaning and painting. Hope it's not just me...

I had the car on the road for a few years, what started it was when I took it for an mot and they found a small hole in the chassis which needed welding, as I poked a bit more it was apparent that a great part of the chassis and body was actually fibreglass Shocked so some major work was needed. I started to weld it but there was just a real lack of metal to weld too, and as I removed more fibreglass was loosing reference points. Then a NOS body shell became available so I decided that I would rebuild the car around that shell, as stuff come off like you do, I just have to clean and paint!
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Well, I would like a penny farthing, or a tractor and to make a mono cycle, then I have the electrics on my ford to do, which are in no rush now, as have no more rallies.

Easy as that! Wink

Cheers

Dave
peppiB

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I move next week, I will be able to get my Merc under cover for the first time so will sort out the odd patches of rust on the wings, or if they are too far gone will change the front wings. Other than that I will try and avoid buying another 'basket case' Minor to restore!
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'd like to be doing is replacing my dural con rods with steel ones. I attempted to do this before but ran into difficulties machining rods not intended for my car. I now have some better rods that may be easier to modify but I'm also hopeful that I might be able to acquire a proper set that are correct for my car following a conversation with a fellow enthusiast at Beaulieu. Fingers crossed. Rolling Eyes

Peter
47p2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to have the garage and the driveway finished then I could start fettling the Range Rover which has been neglected in recent months. The P2 will be tucked up in its heated garage and will be due a service.
hampshire

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully I will be able to get the Bond Minicar back on the road .The petrol tank is now cleaned out,but the petrol tap has started leaking,the wiring needs sorting out,the hood repaired,new tyres fitted and a battery carrier fitted in the back.

I intend to run the Austin A60 all winter as my main form of transport

Pete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: