classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Winter plans
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
imfinlay

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wish I had a garage! I still hope to get the Plymouth MOT'd this year. Got some more trim on today, I'd like to get the front bumper on this week. I just take it one dry day at a time...
pigtin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll start by putting a couple of extra windows in the garage, it’s so much nicer to work on the bench in natural light and as an impoverished old pensioner, who can see his assets slipping away, the saving on lighting would help (Thank you Bradford and Bingley).
Next the vehicles: although the three cars (Austin 10, Seven Special and Sprite) are on the road—and being used alternately. They all have need of attention.
The Ten (for the first time in its 76 year life) has some body rot. I have to do something to improve the rear braking system on the Special. I also have a Ford (type9) gearbox glowering at me from the corner of the garage waiting to be fitted into the Sprite. The £600+ for the conversion kit and the state of my back keeps frustrating this project.
Finally, there is Howler: my 1939 600cc Ariel square 4. “Big problems:” the cork has broken up in the fuel tap and I must source a new one, then, scrape the gunge off the bike and see if it still runs.
Memsahib also keeps mentioning that things need doing in the house and garden… busy old winter coming up.
Rolling Eyes
Penman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi pigtin
I was watching Fossil Hunters and they went looking in a Garden with loads of gravel laid for paths etc.
Apparently there are gravel pits which abound in fossils.
So lay down gravel all over the garden then you will a lower maintenance garden, somewhere to park even more vehicles, and the beginnings of another hobby for when you can no longer lift engines and gearboxes in and out. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
pigtin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Penman. I'll put it to the head gardener... she'll probably give me a thick ear. Wink
old gto

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for me, winter means it`s finally cool and COMFORTABLE enough to work out in the garage, and not hot as blazes.
I`d like to do some welding this winter, on a go-cart I started.

Scotty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've held off doing the head job as I wanted to MoT the Chevy when it fell due, which was last week, the thinking being that gives me all of the winter to get my act together and not having to worry about the MoT as well! Rolling Eyes

We're off to the US in three weeks, so that's when I'll buy the head set rebuild packs and new parts such as lifters, valve springs, etc. Doing it this way and bringing the parts back in the luggage saves me an absolute fortune.

Scotty.
bob2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it will mean continue the resto on the hunter, still lots to do, but hope to have it ready by next summer!!
I also need to clear up 2 of my garages and we will have some nice shows to attend and the usual run every first sunday of the month.
Some small servicing on the other cars and some things to do in the house which I have been avoiding for a bit too much now!!!
Sooo plenty of things and not enough time as usual !!!!!!!
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy bee wrote:
Hi

Well, I would like a penny farthing, or a tractor and to make a mono cycle,

Dave

Sorry Dave, Couldn't resist posting this patent..

pigtin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Great" idea, but the old problem of 'speed bumps' would raise its ugly head again. Just ask the Daleks. Wink
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was granted a US patent though. Rolling Eyes

Peter
emmerson

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my Morris Traveller has gone to the local garage to be welded up as a "hospital" job, so I doubt if I'll see that till spring, but that still leaves my Commer motor home, which needs its cab doors fettling. I've been quoted £180 each for reconditioned doors, but that's a bit rich for me just now, with three more holidays to fit in before Christmas, so I think it will be Lily the Range Rover's turn to have new rear wheel arches, and a possible repaint. That's aside from some major work on the cottage, which Herself insists is falling about our ears. but, what the h*ll, I'm off in my classic caravan tomorrow for a couple of weeks, but I expect the work will be there when I get back.
clan chieftain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done my winter job ass for elbow. The J plate marina went off the road in August and got 2 new wings,2 headlamp panels, 2 sills, 2 rear arches and repainted. 4 marina TC doors were also fitted as they have the chrome surround. The car should be finished this weekend with new front and back lights and a new back bumper. I am on the lookout for a new MK1 front bumper. The one I have is ok but I would like a new one.Normally I would never spend loads of money on a Marina but as this one is the oldest 1300 saloon on the road in Britain then it had to be done.As far as I know there are less than 10 J plates left.
I have got myself a Winter project now but what it needs will be done in a weekend. A 1983 Ital genuine 22000 miles with the engine and gearbox removed. The car has never been welded and is completely original.
I would like to fit a B series 1800 engine into it if anyone knows of one lying around doing nothing as I want to tow my caravan to some of next years shows.
clan chieftain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emmerson Commer motorhome....Are the brake cylinders on the PB the same as the early Metros because they look identical. I seem to remember years ago talking to someone at a show and I am sure he said he had fitted them...Correct me if I am wrong.
emmerson

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

71 marina, I haven't a clue, but I'll ask on the Commer forum.
emmerson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marina, I've had no news from the Commer forum, but thinking about it, the PB had a front-wheel handbrake, and the Metro is on the rear wheels, so they can't be the same. And of course, the Commer has drum brakes on the front. So it looks like a no-no.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: