classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Rolling restorations that didn't roll for a while
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
clascar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Rolling restorations that didn't roll for a while Reply with quote

Both my classic cars were bought as restored examples with 12 months MOT
The first one a 1963 series 3a Sunbeam Rapier was purchased but on driving it home I found it wasn't safe due to faulty brakes, and several faulty vital components. It was supposed to be a rolling restoration, but didn't move out of the garage for nearly 9 months. Faults and substandard work kept cropping up and low and behold at the first MOT in my possession it failed due to lack of rear brakes, a situation that must have been evident at the previous MOT before my purchase. I continue to improve this car as funds and parts become available.

My second car a 1960 Morris Minor 1000 was bought again as fully restored with a fresh MOT. I trailered it home where upon arrival it dumped its brake fluid on my drive. There were several serious faults which should have been found at the MOT test. This vehicle had a long stay in the garage whilst I again sorted out shoddy work and took the opportunity to rebuild and up grade engine and gearbox. There still remains a few jobs to bring it to the standard I want.

I have come to the conclusion I am a better restorer than buyer of classic cars.
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very rarely buy "a restored" car and when I have it has only been because I have "known" the car or owner in a club or suchlike. It comes down to the fact my right is very rarely someone elses right, at least then its not an unknown quantity i would rather buy a basket case than a good one anyday

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
clascar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greeney in France wrote
Quote:
I very rarely buy "a restored" car

I have come to the same conclusion, having made the same mistake twice.
The Rapier had been painted in the last 7 years, a fair job apart from some micro blisters. The previous owner didn't know the paint code, I traced the man who did the respray, not surprisingly he didn't remember the code. I eventually found a firm to mix the paint to a body sample. Not wishig to get stuck a second time I made sure I got the paint formula for the Minor a 2 pack shade of clipper blue. I couldn't get anyone to mix this formula so I ended up with a mix to a body sample. All aggravation I could have done without and I will end up painting both cars to avoid panel mismatch anyway.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, it's nice to find someone else who appreciates the best of the Rapiers
Very Happy http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/sunbeamrapier.htm

When you were talking about the Stromberg conversion I hadn't realised you has a IIIA. I think you should stick with the twin Zeniths WIPs they're really very good. I thought you must have had that twin choke Solex PAIA thing that afflicted series IV cars.

Good classics should be original!

Peter Confused
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girlfriend bought me a Midget for my 50th birthday and anounced that it has been restored and it just needs the carbs rebuilt. oh yeah! £800 and 100 hours of work later it was in road worthy condition. The Morris 8 had a new MOT and the first time I drove it the brakes failed competely, the distributor tried to destroy itself and it had the wrong carb fitted ( about 5mpg), also a kingpin was flapping about. 6 weeks later she is going to the Newmarket Classic Car Club meeting tonight with the major stuff sorted. Happy days.
Keith D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Clascar and Greeney. The only good restoration is the one you do yourself! I bought my Cowley "fully restored" many years ago, and I'd rather not think back to the work that I had to do on it to just to get it roadworthy.

I know of nobody who has been completely happy with a vehicle bought in "restored" condition, generally for top dollar! If you have the time, money and knowledge, then it is best to do the lot yourself. However, there is a downside.

Both my Austin Seven and Chrysler cost me at least twice as much to restore than "IF" I had been able to buy good restored ones, and it took five years of my life. Fortunately my wife has always supported my hobby.

We're all mad to even contemplate restoration of old cars. Still, it's dammed good fun......!!!!

Keith D
47p2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith D wrote:
I know of nobody who has been completely happy with a vehicle bought in "restored" condition, generally for top dollar!

Keith, Sorry to burst your bubble but I bought my Rover almost 6 years ago and am extremely happy with it. So much so that I have made a website praising one Mr. Royce Cole for his skill, dedication and hard work in making 'One of Britain's Fine Cars', a superb car.

I never knew what it was I was buying, I had never seen a Rover P2 before, I couldn't have told you the difference between a Saloon model and a Sport Saloon. As it turns out I bought a very rare Sport Saloon of which there are only 25 known to be left in the world, and of that 25, only 10 still on the road.

What I did see when I bought the car was quality craftsmanship, a proper job, done to the highest standard. My car was restored over 25 years ago and for a car which was restored that long ago to keep winning has to say something of the high standard of work Royce Cole did to this car.

No I didn't pay top dollar for it, I was in the right place at the right time and the exchange rate was in my favour. I have been offered almost 3 times what I paid for the car but as I said to the person making the offer....'It is not for sale'
Keith D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey 47p2,

I'm extremely glad to "have my bubble burst"! That you are so happy with your vehicle says a lot for the original restorer.

There must be many people who do buy well restored cars, it's just that my circle haven't managed to do it!

That must mean we either set our standards too high, or that we are not very good at checking cars out. Probably the latter!

Keith D
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She made it there and back (about 40 miles). A couple standing next to me in the pub were commenting about what idiot had bought his classic on a night like this. I said " this idiot". I spent about an hour cleaning the Morris when I got her home. Maybe I am an idiot but the amount of time, effort and MONEY we put into our babies perhaps we all are. We could buy Golfs or Vectras!!!!!!
clascar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:-
Quote:
I think you should stick with the twin Zeniths WIPs

I think I agree, The Strombergs really won't fit without a lot of messing, the car runs ok as it is so I will leave well alone. I have had my series 3a for a couple of years. I have gradually worked my through it. At the moment I have started stripping the front suspension to clean overhaul a re paint it. I am having new seat covers being made at the moment. Although the car wasn't as good as it looked when I bought it, it is solid having been steeped in waxoyl.
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ray,

I saw the picture of your car on the Sumbeam forum. It looks very smart.

After posting how good the Zeniths are I have to admit that general impressions from nearly 40 years ago turned into specific recollections and I thought: Ah, throttle spindle wear. I also thought, gosh, and Ray's car will have had a further 40 years of wear. Having said that I still think they were good carbs and no doubt your's will have been re-bushed.

You talking about anti-roll bar bushes brings back memories too. Unfortunately I can't remember now whether it was in my Minx or the Rapier. Anyway, on one of them I replaced the bar with a heavier gauge and it absolutely transformed the handling.

One revelation I do remember that was on the Rapier was my first experience of radial tyres. The increase in shear grip with Michelin Xs I found unbelievable and added a good 10 mph to all cornering speeds thereafter. Very Happy

Great Car!

Peter
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was what i found in the wheel arch and kick panel etc on both sides of the Midget that had been "restored"

That kept me out of the pub over the christmas break. I have a very understanding partner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: