classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Crankcase Ventilation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
roverdriver

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Crankcase Ventilation Reply with quote

Poor Gloria, my 1954 Rover 90, was laid up for a while until I got around to fitting a new clutch assemby. That done, she is now back on the road, however I had, in the meantime, forgotten that there was a small volume of fumes getting into the cabin.

While the smell of hot oil is something that I enjoy, my wife objected which meant that Gloria would only be used when I was alone or else just for short trips.

After some study, I diagnosed that a set of new piston rings would be in order, but I won't have the time to attend to it in the forseeable near future. As the car is running quite well, I tried to think of a temporary solution and then realised that more modern machinery had Positive Crankcase Ventilation, where the gasses from the crankcase get sucked into the inlet.

Thinks! How can I do that on the 100 engine fitted to Gloria?

Browsing E-bay, I noticed this gadget, actually off a 6 cylinder LandRover.

Obviously the LR has PCV, so I bought it. The Air Inlet Silencer already had a blanked off bit of extra plumbing soldered into it, so I made up a curved copper tube and reducer. Next I swapped the original 'vent to atmosphere' tappet breather for the new one, connected it up and it seemed to work rather well.

Now to tackle the breather on the oil filler tube. This proved to be a bit more of a problem. I don't know how LR get around the problem, so I had to try to work out my own way of doing it. Bear in mind that I live a long way from any large townships so have to do it myself from available materials or not do it!

I hunted through junk but could not find any tubing or pipe that would be a neat fit over the oil filler tube. I ended up cutting a strip of galvanised steel, then curving around a former and holding it temporarily with a hose clamp. After checking the fit on the oil filler tube, and some adjustments, I soldered it to make a cylinder.

Next requirement was a cap for the cylinder, and then a nipple to take a flexible tube. In my hunting through junk, I came across an old discarded fuel filter from my EFi Rover SD1. A few minutes with the tin snips and I had one end off. The cap and a nipple in one go!

All I had to do was trim it to size, then solder it to the cylinder. Now I had to make up a T junction of brass tube for the air silencer end. Here is the assembly.

And here it is replacing the original oil filler cap.

Took Gloria for a short drive to our nearest town today (only 10 miles), but there were no discernable vapours in the cabin, so I am confident that my wife and I and Gloria can travel together quite happily for a few months until the re-ringing job can be done.
pigtin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cured that problem in a clapped out Ford Prefect (Back in the early 60s) by forcing a piece of thick rubber hose into the oil filler and redirecting the fumes under the car.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice reversible mod. A friend and occasional forum member actually plumbed in a 15mm pipe to route his fumes to the rear. It gave much more smoke than the adjacent exhaust pipe. Shocked

Peter
wrinx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Matta has two breathers, one from the rear of the engine to the carb and the other, at the front, goes straight to the dry sump filler neck!

Do any other vehicles do this?

wrinx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: