classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

windscreen replacement DIY
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
oldtimer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: windscreen replacement DIY Reply with quote

I have done this before,many years ago, when I had my Volvo 120 stripped out for a major overhaul. This is quite different but it has to be done.I know the degree of dismantling indicated and this is, basically,confined to trim,internal and external,in close proximity to the screen.
I would be grateful for input for/against this minimalist approach.At the moment I am leaning towards stripping out the dash and switches to give me a situation something like last time but some/all may consider this to be overkill.
All/any comments would be very welcome. Thanks in anticipation.

oldtimer
pigtin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember someone showing me how to do it using a length of string years ago, did it once successfully but can't remember how... now that is helpful isn't it? Embarassed
Brian M

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OT

I am fortunate in that my Amazon has always been dry around the windscreen. But when I noticed the screen rubber was not tight to the roof I injected a lot of rubberised black sealant into the gap and wiped off the excess to make an almost invisible seal.

I am not sure why you would want to remove the dash and switches unless you have got some serious welding to do on the upper bulkhead behind the dash.

The Amazon has the advantage of large bits of metal trim all around the screen so with these out I would have thought that you have enough clear space to weld the flange bits.

I am told the old trim pieces are almost impossible to get out without the occasion kink that is then there for good. I tried to remove sets from two Amazons I found in my local breakers yard and kinked just about every section I removed.
oldtimer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: windscreen DIY Reply with quote

Hello Brian and Pigtin
I hoped that one of the VOLVO chaps would come back and Ihave not been disappointed and am equally glad to find pigtin on the scene since ,when I posted a little time ago he was kind enough to admit to being a Maths/Science duffer like me.That post was titled "How long is a piece of string".Maybe this one" How long is a piece of cord?"The reason for new screen is that,in strong sunlight the present one looks asif it had been sandblasted and I am driving from memory until the direct light is no longer a problem.I must have used the cord technique pretty successfully last time because it has never leaked.My thanks to you ,Brian,for reminding me of the problem with the trim but, even if it never goes back,the present screen has to go.Removing dash etc may allow more working space and viewing space.
oldtimer
Jim Walker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I inject a word of caution here?

Many years ago, fitting the windscreen to a Mk IV Cortina the cord/string needed more pull than my fingers could supply. A pair of snipe nose pliers were to hand and were therefore put into service. The string snapped, the pliers continued - STRAIGHT INTO MY EYE.
It was about an hour later that the A & E doctor got my eye open and was able to confirm I had not blinded myself. I had missed the pupil.
Careless? Probably. Young? Certainly. And also inexperienced. On reflection, The string was probably not suitable. The pliers should not have been used (wrapping the string around a piece of bar would have been better), and the sharp corner which trapped the string and its opposite mate, should have been the first and second corners tackled, leaving the more gentle corners until last.

A Wiser Jim.
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily I started writing a post about it last night and had a visitor and never got back, I have used the string method many times and its worked well but I started by saying choose a quality string, I use a proper yachting rope of about 3mm, too fine and it will damage the rubber and too fat and it wont move very well, DO NOT EVER USE fairy liquid to lubricate a good rubber lube is fine, if its done properly you shouldn't need anything but as Jim W suggested a pair of scissors is not a good idea, a couple of pieces of 1" dowel is better to give you grip
Putting the bottom trough of the rubber on the bottom lip of the screen surround leave the string to hang from the sides into the car.
This bit is best done with a helper or 2 if its a long windscreen, once the bottom of the screen rubber is sitting in place let the screen lean into place and have 2 people press firmly and evenly, not hard, on the screen as you pull the cord out at about 45° so the rubber lip unfolds over the metal lip, get the helper to follow your progress with one hand adjacent to the string to keep an even pressure, if it is smooth enough it will work in one even movement.
I move one side of the string at a time, left to the top, right to the top, left in a foot, right in about a foot, then even up
I have actually punched myself in the eye once too
Embarassed Laughing

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
oldtimer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: windscreen DIY Reply with quote

My thanks for the further sage advice from Jim with his timely reminder of sensible precautions and work practices and to Greeney for passing on his own experience of doing this job with many useful details included.
Perhaps my possible plan of dash removal is looking like overkill but I think it springs from my earlier effort,when the car was already stripped,and things seemed to go very smoothly.
I think I may settle for just removing the steering wheel for improved access and I know this is another potential "smack in the mouth" scenario but learned the hard way to leave the locking nut on the last few threads while pulling the wheel off!
Regards
oldtimer.
Brian M

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OT

As the recipient of the "steering wheel in mouth" syndrome on more than one occasion, your tip about leaving the nut on is a timely reminder as I need to check the self-cancelling of my indicator switch in the near future.
oldtimer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: windscreen DIY Reply with quote

Brian,
It would be nice if I could make some potentially helpful contribution, however small,for a change rather than being the grateful recipient of so much help and advice throughout.
oldtimer
Ray the rocker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: windsceen replacement. Reply with quote

oldtimer

it`s nice to see many problems solved by the use of the net,so many good contributions delivered---feeling the force of forum members attempting to delve into the experience of days gone by.
I was watching a "top marques" programme the other day and i`ll put this question out to forum members !
What car uses the same windscreen for both the front and rear of the car.
Probably used as a cost cutting measure.

Cheers----Ray the Rocker....
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: windsceen replacement. Reply with quote

Ray the rocker wrote:

I think the Zundapp Janus used the same door back and front.

Brian M

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: windsceen replacement. Reply with quote

Ray the rocker wrote:
oldtimer

I was watching a "top marques" programme the other day and i`ll put this question out to forum members !

Old style Fiat Panda? At one time in the 70's/80's it was the only car to use flat glass all round.
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian, That's an interesting candidate, however the front screen of the Panda doesn't have thick windscreen pilars but the rear screen is set in an opening frame that must make it narrower.

Peter

Ray the rocker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: windsreen duo. Reply with quote

Nice try peter but screen is what i`m looking for,although it seems they took a similar route with two doors for financial reasons perhaps.As for the panda--the taper seems a little steeper on the rear screen compared to the front.

Cheers---Ray the rocker.....
dalbuie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Walker wrote:
the A & E doctor got my eye open and was able to confirm I had not blinded myself. I had missed the pupil.

Reminds me of a great signature from the Stovebold forum.

"Never look into a laser with your remaining eye"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: