classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

It seemed like a good idea at the time .............
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one has asked what kind (make) of Master Cylinder your Mustang has. Perhaps you are all better informed than me.
I have come across several instances of brakes sticking on with Master Cylinders working on the Lockheed principle where the Piston Seal has to withdraw far enough when released to uncover the fluid return hole and let the brakes off. In most cases the main seal had swollen sufficiently (wrong fluid used at some time?) to not clear the hole. One in particular was because somebody had lengthened the pushrod, presumably to try to improve the brakes, with the same effect.
If that is your problem, releasing any bleed nipple momentarily will release the brakes, You a should be able to check by pumping the brake pedal to see if you can lock the brakes on and then releasing a nipple to see if the brakes release.
I would sort out the brakes before condemning the clutch, because if you were inadvertantly fighting the brakes with the power of that engine it was probably being forced to slip.

One last cautionary note:- Two of the incidences I mentioned resulted in accidents, both because the vehicle would not move so the drivers did not apply the handbrake when the vehicle stopped on a hill.
The first, when I loaned a spanner to a stranded van driver (because I was snowed under with work) with instructions to release a brake nipple, it resulted in the van running over him! Fortunately he was only bruised.
On the other the brakes came off while the owner left his car to seek help from us. In the few minutes it took to get there the car had run back down the hill and buried itself in a furniture shop window destroying several suites of furniture.

Both the air vent comment and the flexible hose problem have also cropped up with me.
wrinx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RotaryBri wrote:
I had this brake problem on my Ro80 and it was the front flexible brake hoses breaking up on the inside. The inner liner delaminates and then acts as a one way flap valve allowing brake fluid to pass OK but not return so the brakes stay on and then get very hot. The smoke was pouring off my pads when I stopped.

I should change your flexible brake pipes first before looking at anything else.

Recently had exactly the same on our Spider...one side had gone making the braking very dangerous as it pulled to one side!

I'd be surprised if both had gone on the Mustang as there's no reported pulling to one side, so my guess is the Slave is playing about due to lack of use.

wrinx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: