classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Head studs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Classicdb18

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Head studs Reply with quote

I have a 1952 Daimler DB18 Consort, the head has been removed and I need to replace all 14 head studs. Can anyone please advise me of the correct material/grade to purchase so I can make a new set?
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can help you on the way, but not answer the specific question. According to my Britool nut tightening data handbook the bolts are 3/8" dia and should be tightened to 26/41 ftlbf. that would imply that you need at least the old "T" quality steel (44 ton/sq inch yield).
Others should comment before you rely on this especially as the tightening range seems unusually large.
If you have a college locally with an engineering department they should be able to do a hardness test on the old bolts, to give you a good idea of what you need.
Good Luck.
Paul
Classicdb18

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Paul, This is sound info. The studs I have removed are 3/8 BSF 139mm length "all stretched beyond re use" I have found a chap who remakes the same studs for of the age MG's, their's are a little shorter and make replacements from 3/8 EN24T and have the threads rolled for extra strength. The good news is that this chap told me last night he will make me a new set at the length I need Very Happy . All I need now is to find someone to make me a new copper head gasket????
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
You can try these people.http://www.gasketsforclassics.co.uk/
I have no connection with them other than as a satisfied customer.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how many times you should use or torque up things like head studs, they must stretch and loose some elasticity each time its done, and I guess eventually are lightly to snap even with recommended torque?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: