classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Steering Wheel removal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
SeajayCecil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Steering Wheel removal Reply with quote

Hi. My name is C. Richard Cecil.
I just bought a 1953 Bentley "R" modle out of a weed patch and I am going to try to restore it. I have several questions that I need help with.
I understand that the steering wheel can be re-furbished using automotive bondo and two part epoxy paint. My problems are as follows:
1. I can not see any to remove the steering wheel. I can un-screw the chrome horn button in the center of the wheel but that reveals nothing as to removel of the steering wheel.
2. The silver button in the center of the wheel is obviously the horn button but there are no contacts of any kind under the button.
3. I have removed the tow 'grills' below the headlights looking for the actual horn on the car. I supposed they would be located in that area. I found nothing behind the grills.
4. I found the heater under the passenger seat but I can find no ''defrosters' on the car. There are 'slits' in the dash but nothing under them to transfer heat. Did this car have a ''defroster'' as such?
I would be very greatful if someone could give me some pointers as to how to remove the dash of the car. I have found several screws under and around the dash but I am proceding with caution so as not to break anything. .
If you can help me with any or all of these questions please feel free to e mail me a
seajaycecil@yahoo.com
Many thanks
C. Richard Cecil
rustyreks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj hows it going sounds you have taken on a major project i dont know a lot about the bently but have repaired many british cars normally underneath the steering wheel horn button there is a bolt that holds the steering wheel on and to remove you need to undo it and the steering wheel normally is held by a spline onto the steering shaft if you cant see the bolt you will need to lift off the horn housing it will be held on to the steering shaft by 3 or 4 counter sunk screws these need to be removed to get to the bolt on the the steering wheel i have found this to be the case on all the other british models i have worked on although bentleys could be different as far as the heater is concerned many early cars didnt have vents leading to the slits in the dash as heaters were later fitted by owners.Dashs can be awkward to undo the bolts or screws are normally located in awkward spots i have just dismantled a vanguard dash hoping to swap it over.I will see how you get on hope that helps with the steering wheel removal.
rustyreks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: steering wheel removal Reply with quote

Have you got that steering wheel off yet??? What about hiring a steering wheel puller from the local garage.It cant be that difficult?? Of course you can do it.brent nz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: