classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Leaf Spring Restoration
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
jensen541

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Leaf Spring Restoration Reply with quote

Hi All

Does anybody have any tips on restoring Leaf Springs please. These from my 541 were relatively new (although they dont look it) and as I understand it have not done too much work. Should they need re-tempering if little used? I have new bushes and shackle bolts to go in. The rubber protection pieces look to be perished.
Many Thanks
Brian

47Jag

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

I think you should just dismantle the leafs, clean off the crap and rust between and (paint if you want at this time) then coat each with grease. Before you undo the centre bolt place the spring in a vice near the middle to hold the leafs together. You wil find that they are arched differently from each other. Once the bolt is out the blades will all assume different arcs and the 'package' will grow to about 8" thick. You can squeeze them to gether with you hand if you reach the limit of the vice when you undo the tension The clips are there only to keep the spring blades parallel and the rubbers on the clips are only there to limit wear on the clip. I see that you have what looks like wear buttons on the longer leafs. I don't have any experience of these so I can't comment on replacement/repair.

Art
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will clean up well as described although you need new silent block shackle bushes som you may have to look arouind for substitutes if OEM cannot be sourcec.

Land-Rover S2/3 are 93mm long 30 O/d and 14 I/d for example
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
jensen541

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chaps

For the info. Looks like it's time again for the Deox-C tosavwe on the endless wire brushing!!

Phil I have new bushes for the spring and shackle. Don't know what you mean by silent block bushes though.

Regards
Brian
47p2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silent block bushes are the type of bushes that consist of a metal outer, a metal inner and rubber between the two pieces of metal, as in your pictures
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After installing regrease and wrap with Denso tape to keep them clean and rust free - a subtance used in the 1920's/30's and still just as good today unless you can make some tailored leather or expanded vynil gaitors to tie on
Land Rover S2 & S3
jensen541

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chaps

I guess you mean these then. Didn't know the proper name for them. I assume they are an interference fit into the spring? So a bit of heat applied on each end? If so what about the rubber burning?

Brian

47p2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should be a tight fit but DO NOT heat the ends, infact do not heat any of it.

The easiest way to fit them is using a vice and press them in. If you don't have a vice then a block of wood and a hammer but be careful the the bush is square onto the spring eye before tapping it in
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat can be used to remove the old ones but freezing the new ones and heating the spring (gently) will make it easier or just pull them in with a long bolt - make sure the spring eye bore is clean and smooth and copper greased
Land Rover S2 & S3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: