classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Seabrook tools and cars
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Seabrook tools and cars Reply with quote

Neil dropped me a line with this question, does anyone know of this firm?

--------------

Hi I have some old tools made by Seabrook Bros and I cannot find any info other than whats in the subject line above.

The tools are bicycle tools and the company is proving to be very difficult to track down. Have you heard of them? or even better still do you have any links etc where I might gain some info.

Any help will much appreciated

regards
Neil Mackay
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil sent this old ad in, does it ring a bell with anyone??

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
mikeC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Watch this space!
I did quite a bit of research on the Seabrook brothers, having rescued the remains of a 1923 Seabrook 9/19 from the bleak Durham moors back in the early 1970s.
The poor old thing was really too far gone, and had it been, say, a bullnose Morris, it would have been dismantled for the parts. Since, however, it appeared to be the sole survivor (and still appears to be!) it has been preserved in a state of limbo for the last thirty-plus years.
A couple of years ago my brother took the thing over, and actually started to make progress, but now a Frazer Nash has muscled in on his time, so progress has stopped for the moment.
Anyway, I will dig out the info I have, and post it here shortly...
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

If your avatar is anything to go by it looks great.

Welcome to the forum.

Peter
mikeC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter, thanks for the welcome.
No, the avatar is a 1922 Star 11.9hp, which I bought with 12,000 miles under its belt, and sold a couple of year's ago with 18,000 miles showing.
Having added 50% of its mileage, I decided it was better for someone else to slow things down Very Happy
roverdriver

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Searching in the Georgano encyclopedia, I found this-

Seabrook (GB) 1920-1928
(1) Seabrook Bros Ltd, London EC 1920-1926
(2) Seabrook Bros Ltd, London S.W.3 1926-1928

Seabrook Bros were a firm of motor factors who imported the Regal (later RMC) before the war, and began to make their own car in 1920. This was an advanced machine with an 11.9 hp 4-cylinder engine using aluminium pistons and cylinder head. It proved too expensive to make, and was replaced in 1921 by a 9.8 hp model with a Dorman engine. In 1923 an 11.9 hp Meadows-engined model was added, which became the only model from 1925 onwards.
mikeC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roverdriver wrote:
Searching in the Georgano encyclopedia, I found this-

Seabrook (GB) 1920-1928
(1) Seabrook Bros Ltd, London EC 1920-1926
(2) Seabrook Bros Ltd, London S.W.3 1926-1928

Seabrook Bros were a firm of motor factors who imported the Regal (later RMC) before the war, and began to make their own car in 1920. This was an advanced machine with an 11.9 hp 4-cylinder engine using aluminium pistons and cylinder head. It proved too expensive to make, and was replaced in 1921 by a 9.8 hp model with a Dorman engine. In 1923 an 11.9 hp Meadows-engined model was added, which became the only model from 1925 onwards.

Yes, but... that's not too accurate!
They started in the late 19th century as cycle factors (possibly manufacturers, but probably not), were UK agents for a number of American cars and lorries pre First World War, adding their name in some instances - there were Seabrook lorries and Underslungs (RMCs). Post war, as far as I could establish, there was just one prototype light car built with their own alloy engine, this being a 1500cc overhead cam unit. The 1921 car was Dorman-engined, but this was catalogued as the 10hp. The 9.8hp was introduced in 1923, and swiftly renamed the 9/19 (this being the model I found), and was fitted with the 1200cc 4EB Meadows engine. The 12/24 of the same period had the 1500cc Meadows 4EC engine, and a 12/40 model was catalogued (presumably with the Meadows 4ED engine) in 1927, though whether any were built is doubtful.
All my references are boxed up at the moment whilst I decorate the study, so give me a few more days, and I will try and add some more flesh to that summary.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Slightly off topic, maybe you could post it elsewhere, do you have any pics of your old star, bigger than your avatar? A friend has an early Star car.

Cheers

Dave
mikeC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy bee wrote:
Hi

Slightly off topic, maybe you could post it elsewhere, do you have any pics of your old star, bigger than your avatar? A friend has an early Star car.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,
I have posted a short history of my Star in the Classic & Vintage Cars section. Hope you enjoy it Laughing
mikeC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to Seabrooks, here are photos of our car as it was in 2007, and of a similar car taken in 1923 to show what it should look like:

peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Your's looks to be more sporting than the one in the second photo although it also appears to have been used competitively.

Peter
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks for the history in the other thread! Very Happy

Cheers

Dave
mikeC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
Hi Mike,

Your's looks to be more sporting than the one in the second photo although it also appears to have been used competitively.

Peter

No, Peter, it's just that the steering box and column are only balanced in position - I suspect Tony is trying out a more sporting seating position 'cos it may well end up as a sporting version Very Happy
As far as I know, the 9/19 was only produced in chummy 4-seater form.
RoyS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Seabrook tools and cars Reply with quote

Hi, Neil

I am Roy Seabrook and Percy Seabrook was my grandfather. I know little about him and am very keen to find out about any of the bicycles and cars that he made in the early 1900s . Really interested to know what bits and pieces you have and any any info. on the Seabrook brothers.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

RoyS.

-------------

Hi I have some old tools made by Seabrook Bros and I cannot find any info other than whats in the subject line above.

The tools are bicycle tools and the company is proving to be very difficult to track down. Have you heard of them? or even better still do you have any links etc where I might gain some info.

Any help will much appreciated

regards
Neil Mackay[/quote]
RoyS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Seabrook cars Reply with quote

Hi, MikeC

Great to read your info. on the Seabrook Bros. My name is Roy Seabrook and Percy Seabrook was my grandfather but I don't know a great deal about his business. Was the photo of you in your garage in 2007 a Seabrook car?

Perhaps we can make contact

RoyS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: