classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1922 Star
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
mikeC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: 1922 Star Reply with quote

I thought you might be interested to see some photos of the 1922 Star that I used to own.

The 11.9hp model was built between late 1921 and 1923, when it was replaced by the 12/24 for the 1924 season. My car was one of just three survivors, each with a different body: my Dorado saloon, a Scorpio 2-seater and an Orion 4-seater.
My saloon had an interesting history; it was bought new by a Newmarket race-horse trainer, and traded back to the supplying agent in 1924 for a new 12/24. It then stayed with the dealer, being used as a garage hack, until it was overhauled and laid up in 1928, having done just 8.000 miles.
It was discovered in the 1950s by Reg Taverner, who was collecting cars for the Sharpe brothers in Essex. Unusually, they sold it to an ex-Star apprentice in the 1960s, who rebuilt it, and did about 4000 miles in it.
It passed through several hands over the years without doing any mileage, and when I bought it in 1996 it still had only done just over 12,000 miles.
Over the next ten years I added another 6000 miles - 50% of the total! - before selling it in 2006.

The engine is a simple side-valve unit with cast iron head and block, and alloy crankcase - a bit like a large Austin Seven! - with a three-speed gearbox. It would cruise comfortably at 45-50mph, but the limiting factors were the beaded-edge tyres, two-wheel brakes, and no shock absorbers - uneven road surfaces and modern traffic meant that 30-35mph was a more realistic running speed.

The bodywork was unusual, being a 2-door six-light; access to the rear being by a folding passenger's seat, and not very practical!

When I moved house in 2001, I lost a nice maze of quiet lanes on the doorstep, and I no longer was using so much, so with some reluctance I decided to sell it, and it went to a new owner in the Preston area. I hope he is getting as much enjoyment from it as I did.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fabulous car! The interior looks especially nice. Was it totally original?

Peter
Rob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous - the last photo is the Black Country Museum, right?
mikeC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car had a total rebuild at vast expense in the 1960s (when it was sold by the Star apprentice who rebuilt it, he took a vintage Rolls Royce plus cash in exchange Shocked ), so no, the interior was/is not the original.
Yes, the last photo was, indeed, at the Black Country Museum.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a beauty isn't it, there was an open-top Star at the local VSCC meet a month or two back, probably the first one I've seen in the metal

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This car has an interesting history - “built between late 1921 and 1923 - traded back to the supplying agent in 1924 - used as a garage hack, until it was overhauled and laid up in 1928.”

One 'customer' in all those years, by 1928 the recession was in full spate so I assume it was laid up as there was no hope of selling it, hard times indeed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: