classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

New Member - Pop 103E Restoration Advice Request!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Mello

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: New Member - Pop 103E Restoration Advice Request! Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just bought a '56 Pop 103E which hasnt been started since 1982!

I know I have a list of things I need to do before I think about trying to start it up, and I'd value your thoughts on anything I may have overlooked... the car is 6V, completely unmodified and original.

Replace:-
Battery
Fan belt
oil
water
petrol pump diaphragm
voltage regulator
points & plugs
rotor arm
condensor
ht leads
coil
radiator hoses
dynamo?
brake shoes
oil in shock absorbers?
wiper vacuum hose (probably)

I'd value thoughts on the merits of converting to 12volt too... Wink

I also have a Prefect engine which has an oil pump and water pump. Would it be sensible to replace the original for the benefits that it brings?

Anything else? Any suggestions welcomed!! Wink Idea

Thanks in anticipation Smile

Pete
Brian M

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete

Having resurrected my last classic (a Rover P4) that had stood unused for 23 years I can add two other important things to your list, and I am sure there are other items requiring attention.

The petrol tank will need emptying and the inside cleaning, as the residue will mess up the carb and petrol lines for months if it is not removed.

The tyres will also need replacing as they will be dangerous after so many years.

Good luck anyway as there are few things more satisfying than hearing the engine running for the first time and the first drive is also a moment to savour.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete,

Welcome along, I've had one or two sidevalves over the years too - dropping and cleaning out the sump wouldn't be a bad idea either before firing her up.

As for 12v, well you could convert, but 6v will do the job on a little engine like the 1172, so long as all your earth connections are ok. I'd only think of converting if I planned to do a lot of night driving, as 6v lights aren't the best.

Any photos?

Rick

PS The firing order is 1-2-4-3, not the usual 1-3-4-2.
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
victor 101

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While your changing plugs, points leads, condenser & rotor arm I would change the distributor cap as well, and if you change your coolant and hoses it might be worth a back flush and refill using a good antifreeze mix and fitting a new thermostat and radiator cap, but I would leave that till you know it runs okay with no overheating problems, and I wouldn't worry about the dynamo & regulator unless they fail to work once your up and running.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the things in your list will be needed before hitting the road, but just to get it running to test the engine, I'd try:

Cleaning and resetting the ign points that are already fitted and test for a spark. Then test for compression. Double check the timing, rig up a temporary feed into the fuel pump. Maybe change the oil if it looks old/gloopy/watery, then give it a try Smile

R
Mello

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gents - great advice, and any more welcomed...

The tyres are new (well, unused) and have never been on the car, so they should be ok. The wheels have been newly refurbished and never bolted on. The car has been on axle stands for many many years, with oil put down the bores etc. so I am happy that in general the right things were done before I bought it.

Distributor cap replacement, sump flush and petrol replacement are now all on my list Smile

Would the Ford Sidevalve Owners Club (I've just joined) be the best source for the parts I need or does anybody have any better suggestions?

I collect the car next Tuesday, so the fun begins after that! Will post pics when I have some...
Mello

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Pics, as promised Reply with quote

Very Happy

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a nice find, judging by the repainted wheels its had a fair bit of work done in the past already?

R
Mello

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rick. The wheels have been repainted (+new tyres) but nothing else has been changed for a very long time! Very generally straight and unmolested Smile
Mello

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another pic with the front getting gradually bolted back on...

47p2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice looking Pop, it's not often you see them this good.

Here is one that I took a picture of last year at Fraserburgh, it's a 1959 model

Mello

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Update... Reply with quote

Well, I've now replaced all the necessary electrics and we got it started on Thursday! In the end I didn't need to replace the petrol pump diaphragm, voltage regulator, coil, dynamo, brake shoes or the oil in shock absorbers, but I will do some or all of these at some stage.

I drove it very briefly and all seems more or less ok but a bit smoky, improving all the time).

I now need to finish connecting the front lights then improve/upgrade the bulbs. Then it's 'first go at MOT' time...

The underneath desperately needs steam cleaning!
Mike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First car I can remember my dad owning was a Pop just like yours. I remember us driving up Porlock Hill one summer holiday in it.
Must be a great feeling hearing your car run for the first time in your ownership - hope I get that pleasure before Christmas.

Cheers!
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those tyres bother me a bit. You say "new", but how new? If they have stood unused with the car for years they may not be as safe as they look, unless they have been stored in total darkness. Tyre rubber quietly perishes in daylight even without being used. The deterioration is not always easy to see and may not show up in use until it is too late!
Mello

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim.Walker wrote:
(some good tyre advice)

Thanks Jim, but the tyres have been stored in the dark, and are brand new, unperished Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: