classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1951 austin of england a40 devon pickup
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
alangregory2448

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:22 am    Post subject: 1951 austin of england a40 devon pickup Reply with quote

I wonder if "Australian Classic Car" magazine is available in the U.K. The October 2009 issue has an interesting article with pictures of a 1949 Ford Prefect coupe utility which is very similar to my Austin A40 pickup, both in the two-tone paintwork, Blue colour with black front wings, and the overall body shape, plus the same rear cab window seems to have been used. I wonder if any of the models of commercial Prefects in the U.K. of early 1950's had a separate pickup style cargo compartment, like my 1951 Austin A40, or if they were all built like the Prefect coupe utility (all one complete body) like the vehicle featured in A.C.C. magazine. alan2448
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan,

There was never a factory-built Prefect pickup in the UK, if there had been I'm sure it would have had a separate rear body, as found on E83Ws and E494Cs of the time. The integral cab, as seen on various utes including my Bedford, was the norm in Australia but didn't really take off in the UK until vehicles such as the A55 pickup came along.

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
alangregory2448

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Hi Alan,

There was never a factory-built Prefect pickup in the UK, if there had been I'm sure it would have had a separate rear body, as found on E83Ws and E494Cs of the time. The integral cab, as seen on various utes including my Bedford, was the norm in Australia but didn't really take off in the UK until vehicles such as the A55 pickup came along.

Rick

Hello Rick, does anyone know if the internals ie. the bearings,seals etc of the water pump from a 1954 A40 pick-up with Sommerset type engine (I have been given a complete unit), can be used to recondition the water pump internals from my 1951 Austin pick-up ? Externaly both units look pretty much the same, however a complete swap is not possible as the mounting holes are not identical with my engine, but I am thinking maybe the internals are the same and I could get a mechanic to rebuild my unit with the internals from the donor unit, as it seems to be nice and tight, if you know what I mean! there doesn't seem to be any worn play.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on the internals, but (for UK market cars anyway) I'd have thought a Somerset pump would have been interchangeable with that found on a Devon. I wonder if one of your engines is later B series unit?? I know the B engine has a different pump to that in the Devon, as I once bought a pump for my pickup (it was sold as being suitable for an A40 Devon), and it didn't fit.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
alangregory2448

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
I can't comment on the internals, but (for UK market cars anyway) I'd have thought a Somerset pump would have been interchangeable with that found on a Devon. I wonder if one of your engines is later B series unit?? I know the B engine has a different pump to that in the Devon, as I once bought a pump for my pickup (it was sold as being suitable for an A40 Devon), and it didn't fit.

RJ
I know what you mean Rick, my engine is not the B series as this engine came out in February 1952 I believe, which is some 6 months later than my pick-up was built. However as I've mentioned it only seems to be the mounting section and bolt hole locations that are different on the pump, and the body of the section which houses the impeller and shaft seems the same (the shaft is exactly the same lenght and appears to be the same diameter) this why I'm suspecting that if the unit is dismantled we will be able to use the "internals". You, or any of your aquaintances don't happen by any chance to have access to a "service manual" for the A40 Somerset dated later than February 1952 or even into '53 or '54 do you? I have A40 service manuals dated 1950 and very early '52 just before the Somerset was introduced with the B engine. The pages showing the "water pump assembly detailed view" ie. the internals are identical to my unit. I wonder if you could locate what I'm looking for, then post the page so I can print a copy to take home? cheers Alan
Richard H

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, I'd be very surprised if a Somerset pump didn't fit a Devon - it is the same engine after all!

If you need an exchange item, the Austin Counties Car Club spares (you have to be a member) are very good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: