classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Removing tyres from split rims?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
First Bedford

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Removing tyres from split rims? Reply with quote

Is it feasable to remove old tyres myself from the split rims on my Bedford truck, prior to lasting rims? Any advice on techniques 700x20, bald tyres?
Pete
Merry Xmas to all.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split rim tyres need to be inflated in a safety cage after fitting. MANY serious injuries have resulted from the split ring flying off on initial inflation. The old practice was to lean the wheel on a wall with the ring facing the wall to inflate it. THAT was not always enough to prevent accidents.
LEAVE IT TO THE PEOPLE WITH THE PROPER KIT.

Some commercial tyres, I don't know which sizes, were deliberately made with sufficient rubber for the tread to be re-cut. Yours may or may not be so intended, or tread may already have been re-cut. Replace them or seek professional advice about re-cutting first.
First Bedford

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim, tyre lads will be replacing with brand new tyres, as you, they consider it unsafe for me to fit them. Over the holiday period would like to try removing one deflated tyre from its rim.
Pete
roverdriver

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been many years since I did them, but from memory, make sure the tyre is fully deflated and when you are sure, check it again. From that point it is simply a matter of carefully levering the ring out of its groove.

I used to fit my own tyres and would lay the wheel split rim downwards to inflate. Gave away the idea of doing them myself after a truck driver who lived nearby was decapitated by a flying ring.
First Bedford

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Roverdriver, have removed valve on spare wheel, will have a go, the new tyres will be fitted by pros who are on the same ind.est. as I am. 700x 20, I can hardly lift a wheel.
I remember different news items where people have been killed in the past.
Pete
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still think its safer to let experts remove tyres - they will dispose of the old casing too
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I remember at college watching a video, of what can happen, all that was left was an impression of the fitter in the ceiling!

Inflation Cage it is then!!

Cheers

Dave
First Bedford

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First tyre removed today, £17.25p, VAT and casing disposal inclusive. Took fitter a good while because of rusted rims. This was the spare, the running tyres don't seem to have as much rust. The charge to fit the new tyres will be £10 plus VAT.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Will they fit tyres they haven't supplied? Most cop out on insurance reasons. hehe A local garage do this, but if you go round the back tot he agricultural dept, they have done it for me without a flick of an eye lid!

Cheers

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a mobile tyre fitter did the Dodge ones, not sure what gear they had with them mind

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
First Bedford

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All done by hand, a very large lump hammer, a tyre chisel and a couple of levers. They are a small company and are aware it is a restoration project; happy to fit new, rare size tyres not supplied by themselves.
Pete
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Yeah tractor tyres are a pain in the bum, they have to be done by hand, check their not ballasted, and then a big bead breaker, then some good levers and some work. I was quite lucky with the front ones on the fergie, got them to grip on the insides of the rim on the machine, so did them on there.

Forklift truck ones are bad ones, they are best left to the tyre man, like your resto ones.

Cheers

Dave
First Bedford

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of sets of hydraulic rams, part of bodywork kits, a couple of lengths of 2x2 box section and some surplus bits of plate. Will jig a press up to break beads, a lot of rust, before taking the next tyres. Painful watching the fitter swinging that big hammer, especially as he had to go round the rim three times to get it free of the split rim.
Pete
First Bedford

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Pitting on Split Rim Reply with quote

Just a thought. The first wheel to have the tyre removed was the spare. Lots of rust between tyre wall and rim. Gave the split rim a quick buzz with a wire brush to remove scale. Quite a lot of pitting up to 3mm deep (1/8th).
Will take advice from fitters as to whether it is still safe to use or not. If not safe, wondering whether a 700x20 split rim will be available. Longstone Tyres provided new casings, tubes and flaps, will give them a ring and ask them if they know of suppliers. Unless members know of anywhere.
Pete
First Bedford

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Keep tyres off ground? Reply with quote

Have new 700x20 tyres, when fitted, will it be better to keep vehicle on stands rather than have it stood on new tyres for several months?
Pete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: