classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1958 Austin A35 - garage find.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Richard H

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mike Smile

Been doing some polishing, we have now decided to keep the paintwork original apart from a couple of bits, one of which is the wing mentioned before, and the n/s/f wing needs a repair at the bottom, after which it will have to be painted.

What's that?

Three generations of Austin:

Front bumper and numberplate polished up a treat

Coming up well

With the gravity feed attached:

Still plenty more to do, but it is just as good as I had hoped. The pictures don't really do it justice Very Happy
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing it one day,

Next Battlebridge ? when ever that is
I have been told I'm booked in at the next BB show
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really responded well to that scrub-up hasn't it, the "Ace" numberplates set it off perfectly.

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
bob2

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coming up really nice, I'd just do what you said Richard, that rear wing and that small patch and tahts it, just leave the remaining paint original!!
polish and some wax every now and then should see it keep that lovely shine!!
Richard H

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks people Very Happy

Roger, we'll have to see about Battlesbridge, is it free if you book?

The condition of the bodywork is really down to the original owner, as he polished it weekly and always garaged it. As such it didn't need too much work to get a good shine on it.

Another job we did yesterday was try and repair the original rubber mats in the front, although the bits on the floor are in excellent condition, the bit on the bulkhead had slipped down and started to break up. Well the heat yesterday manged to make the mats just supple enough to reposition, so hopefully with some minimal repair they will look quite presentable. But does anyone know of a product that will soften up rubber?
bob2

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put some glycerine on some window rubbers on my hunter mainly the front screen and the quarter window ones and it did the job, it softened them up a little!!

You could always try it out, nothing to loose, but you need to soak it more than once, I'd try it once or twice a day and see whteher it improves or not!!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rich, just been looking into parts availibility with the main suppliers, other than wheel cylinders most items seem to be readily available. How'd you get on with the fuel tank blockage??

R
Richard H

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Hi Rich, just been looking into parts availibility with the main suppliers, other than wheel cylinders most items seem to be readily available. How'd you get on with the fuel tank blockage??

R

I've been pretty busy for the last few weeks and 'Nobby' has been sheeted up in the garden, however we did manage to get a replacement fuel tank at the National Rally. It will be nice to get the car running under its own steam.

We also attempted to get the thermostat housing off but it was welded to the studs so took a lot of chiselling! Eventually we got it off to find a rusty old OE thermostat buried in rusty muck. There would have been virtually no water flow. It was the bypass hose that had blown out, and a new one has been ordered, along with a waterpump, top and bottom hoses, thermostat, and a few other bits and pieces.

We also had a go at cleaning up the interior, we managed to successfully rescue about 95% of the original rubber mats, re-strapped the front seats and cleaned the interior, which has come up like new Very Happy

Here is a taster shot of the driver's seat.

Keith D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard
I have successfully rescued cracked and partly disintegrating rubber mats by sticking them with contact adhesive onto a suitable backing. In my case I used a woolsack which is a woven man-made fibre. The results have lasted over twenty years. I finished them off by painting with a tyre black paint.

Keith
Richard H

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More work has been carried out. First we removed the seats and cleaned up the seats, carpets and the original rubber mats. New rubber seat straps have now been fitted.

And the finished result Very Happy

Right, so with the interior out of the way, we now made a start on getting the car running under its own steam. The problem was no petrol was getting through from the tank. First of all we tested the fuel pump, that was fine, then blasted the fuel line with an airline, again no problems, so we tried to syringe some petrol out of the tank. Nothing. I can only assume the pick up pipe must be blocked, and it is inaccessible Sad

Luckily, we managed to pick up this secondhand tank at the National Rally for £20, it was an unknown quantity, but tests proved fuel was getting through it and after cleaning it out with old petrol, we took the plunge and changed it.

The original paint was like new under the tank.

Also we fitted a new bypass hose, top and bottom hoses, waterpump, thermostat and housing, and flushed through the radiator.

Result: Well, after a while we were able to get fresh petrol through, and it burst into life! Running under its own steam for the first time since 1987. Even the clutch that we thought was stuck proved to be free, and we have had it driving round the garden. It is incredibly smooth and quiet, with none of the usual timing chain, bearing or tappet noise.

But there were no hydraulic brakes. We took the drums off and there appeared to be new wheel cylinders on the drivers side, but old ones on the passenger side. Anyway three out of four appeared to be stuck, so we decided to put some fluid in the master cylinder and see if we could get any pedal and free the cylinders. There was no fluid in the system when we first got it.
Anyway the other (obviously new and shiny) wheel cylinder on the drivers side freed off with little effort so we decided to fit the two original BL wheel cylinders that came with the car in the boot to the passenger side.

New brake shoes were already fitted at the front. I can only assume the previous owner bought four new cylinders, but only fitted two. Anyone who is into A30/35's will know these are like gold dust.

The master cylinder wasn't leaking or seized and is ok for the time being, but if it springs a leak we have a new one ready to go on. However the rear frame cylinder did blow out under pressure so we have ordered a new one.

We also got a new grille centre strip to replace the rusty one, and a brand new grille badge from the Rally, the original one wasn't too bad but it was a bit faded and this one just sets it off so well Very Happy

bob2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done richard, this A35 is a true time warp.
wish I could find some old car in that original unmolested and rust free condition!!!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a little cracker, great to see the latest photos. I hope to have a move around and have another look at my A35's tank issue soon. I've been looking out for a usable van/countryman tank, but I've not found one as yet so mine will probably end up being repaired. While I'm at it I'll have another look at those NOS door edge trims (furflex) I bought in a box of bits and pieces. Do you know what the BMC part nos are for your trims?

R
Richard H

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure of the part numbers for them, but if they are red and would fit the front doors of my four-door I would be very interested - they are one of the few things that let the interior down as they are quite worn from people getting in and out.

I'll try and find out the part numbers.
Keith D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos Richard.

From your comments, it would seem that you have difficulties in the UK for getting new wheel cylinders for A30/A35's. A usual practice in Australia is to get our old, corroded cylinders resleeved with stainless steel liners. This works out much cheaper than buying new ones, presuming new ones are still available. Also, stainless is a much better cylinder material than mild steel or in the case of A40 cylinders, aluminium!

My '26 Chrysler and '50 Austin A40 have been happily running with stainless steel lined wheel cylinders for years!

Keith
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard

As some one already said, sure is a time warp.

Also I forgot to answer your question about Battlebridge.

The one we plan to attend will be in September and Yes it is free if pre-booked.

Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: