classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Choosing a spray gun
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Choosing a spray gun Reply with quote

Ok, I've got a reasonable size compressor, and a cheapo spraygun that came with a bundled set of airtools when I bought it. Is this good enough to practice with, or should I splash out on a super-dooper spraygun first?

ta
Rick
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should go on the painting and refinishing course I found, that is happening in the new year, I am going to have a go at it!
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy, I hope that you are going to post some reports about the refinishing course, I for one would find them very interesting! And I´m not being sarcastic!

Rick, by all means practice with a cheapo. If you can get a good finish with one of them, you can get an excellent finish with a good one! There is one important thing about spraying that most people forget. Make sure that you have good filters, (water, oil and dust) on the line that you use for spraying. When the only thing that we can use is water based paint, a good water separator is going to be especially important!
admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that some sprayguns have the container beneath the nozzle (ie draw the paint upwards) whereas others have the paint container above the nozzle (gravity), is one better than the other as a rule? I'd guess that the latter may be better so as to not get any gloopy build ups in the base of the container, but thats just a hunch Laughing

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think that there is any correct answer to this question, but would love to be proved wrong!

There are really three types of spraygun that are in use. Gravity feed (container above), Siphon feed (container below), and Pressure feed (remote container). Forgetting the last one, until someone asks...

Its really a matter of personal choice. In the US, I´ve only very rarely seen a Gravity gun. In Europe, its the other way round! Curiously, some of the "minorities" in both areas seem to consider themselves better craftsmen! Having used both, here are my thoughts.

A Gravity gun has some advantages. For the same job, it uses a lower pressure. Some people consider it to be better balanced due to the weight being above the wrist. Horizontal surfaces are therefore less tiring. The biggest disadvantage for me is that it wont stand up on a flat surface.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to ask. We are talking about conventional spray guns, and not the HVLP type aren´t we?
rustyreks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Picking a good spraygun Reply with quote

Not that i am an expert but the advice given to me by a proffesional spray painter was that some cheap guns do a good job the trick is to unscrew the front nozzle where the air jets come out and the internal parts if they are brass and the needle operates evenly then it is a good gun.Dont touch any with internal plastic fittings that centre the needle as they are no good.The other option would be to use the cheap gun for the spray on putty or priming and keep a good gun for the top coats.I have bought a cheap gun 75.00 nz and it sprayed on well just like a top quality gun.Depending on the type of paint will depend on the pressure acrylic laquers 60-65lbs enamels 80lb.A good compressor is a good investment also for painting and sand blasting.
admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rusty!

Thanks for joining in, don't forget to put up a thread or two in the Your Restorations section, am sure that will be of interest!!!!

cheers
Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advice that is given about the spray guns is correct, but needs qualifying a little. The biggest difference between a quality gun will normally have certain internal parts hardened. These parts cost money to produce, hence the higher price.

There is at least one low price gun (from China) on the market that has these parts, so sometimes price and quality is not the same.

rustyreks, is there a particular reason that you use so much pressure? for say primer/filler, I usually use between 25 and 40lbs, occasionally 50.

By the way, welcome to the forum!
rustyreks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe sorry pressure of spray relating more to final coats not primer
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I understand now! I also assume that you are talking compressor values as well.

Normally, with the 2K paints that I use, I have a gun pressure of around 50psi. About the same!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: