classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Overheating
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Overheating Reply with quote

I've also asked elsewhere this question, when I put my vintage car into harder driving it has an tendency for the radiator to boil after an couple of miles or so. When I drive in an normal fashion all is OK. i ASSUME THAT THE RAD' IS BLOCKED WITH CRUD AND POSSIBLY THE WATERWAY IN THE BLOCK ALSO. Anyone tried Holts flushing solution, bearing in mind my vintage car is fitted with an aluminium head. Thanks for comment/advise.
victor 101

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bayliss, have you back flushed the system? I have never had any luck with Holts stuff myself, but im sure others will disagree.
michael1703

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the fan belt tension correct? if the belt slips it will overheat

is the pressure cap the right poundage and is the rubber seal good?

is the timing correct?
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possible cause is a leak somewere in the induction side.

I had the same problem and found that there was a slight leak passed the manifold.

Or it cold be jetting making it run too lean when driven hard.

Just another thought
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If you are still allowed to use your hose pipe, flush the block, down wards, and then upwards for 15 mins eash way, and then the same for the rad, both up and down, 15 mins each way. Check the fan belt, pump if you have one.

Also blow the outside of the rad through well with some air from the compressor, incase the core is dusty, any dust on the core will cause insulation to colling fins etc.

Cheers

Dave
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy bee wrote:

Also blow the outside of the rad through well with some air from the compressor, incase the core is dusty, any dust on the core will cause insulation to colling fins etc.

Cheers

Dave

Why is it that people always over-look the AIR-FLOW through the radiator? So often the cause of overheating. Dirt, dust, oil, flies and leaves etc. will block the airways of every radiator given time. Water AND air must both pass through it freely to prevent overheating. On more modern radiators check also that the "film strip" around the water tubes (front and back) has not been rubbed or knocked so the the edges overlap.

It is always the first thing I check (because it's easiest and I am lazy??). If I am in doubt I always blast through it from BEHIND with an air line. Or failing that a water hose. It is amazing what collects there.

Well said Dave.

Jim.
Keith D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BT,

Assuming that you have done the usual checks of water level and that the cooling fins are not disintergrating, I would be reasonably confident that if your engine temperature is speed related then in fact it is your radiator partially blocked.

I had to drive a modern 1000miles to the northwest of Western Australia so therefore anticipated a long days run at about 70-80 mph. I found that I had to keep my speed down to no more than 50 mph to keep the thermometer out of the red. On that journey through the Outback, I only passed near two towns and was therefore very apprehensive of ruining my engine. Frequent checks assured me that the water level in the rad was not dropping. I broke the journey over two days and kept my speed down. I arrived safely without wrecking my engine! (And probably saved quite a bit of petrol!)

On arrival in Karratha, I removed the radiator and had both the top and bottom tanks opened and the core rodded through. There was excessive build up of calcium inside the tubes. The tanks were resealed and my overheating problems were over.

If your vintage car has a cellular radiator, then get it rodded through. However, if it has a honeycomb radiator, then things are not so easy. You will have to flush it through with caustic soda which is nasty stuff!

Cellular radiators are a lot more efficient than honeycomb radiators. A trick that I have often seen done here in Oz is to have a new cellular radiator made up for your vintage car, then slice a thin veneer off your old honeycomb radiator and solder it to the front of your new cellular rad. Nobody will then know that you've "cheated"!

Good luck! Keith
michael1703

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another thought, impeller blades might have corroded
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for all the tips and info'. Yesterday I used 'Wynn' coolant flush two tins as the radiator holds so much water. Its an acid free solution so no risk to alloy. Thought may as well start with the easy way! next step is I will use my Bro's air compressor and give the honeycomb an blow through. Change my engine oil for an slightly heavier grade (sae40 in place of sae30).

See how things are after this.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You never mentioned what your "vintage" car is. SAE 30 sounds a very low viscosity for any "vintage" car in the summer. Generally the practice and recommendations used to be to use SAE 50 in summer, changing to SAE 30 in winter.
Jim.
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed the oil in my midget to 10/40 semi and cured the overheating problem. If your engine is in good condition this will not be a problem and it may even keep it good for longer. Remember the only reason 20/50 was recommended was because there was nothing better. As long as you have good oil pressure it's OK. I must go and put the hot coals in the clothes iron after pummelling the washing in my local river.
Dax Rush
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic Jarman wrote:
Remember the only reason 20/50 was recommended was because there was nothing better. As long as you have good oil pressure it's OK.

The only indication that oil pressure gives you is that there is adequate oil flow to the bearings. What happens in the bearings is something else! Remember Austin Sevens and most other cars of, and before, that era did not even have oil pumps. They relied on the "oil wedge" effect within the rotating bearing to prevent metal to metal contact (though the engineers then had probably never heard of an "oil wedge"). Oil viscosity then was of paramount importance and probably dictated by the engineering limitations and bearing clearances.

Anyway, 20/50 was not recommended until at least the mid-sixties because it did not exist! Viscosity Index Improvers (long-chain polymers) were very much in their infancy. So could not be recommended for a "vintage" car.

Don't forget to use Fabric Softeners on your washing by the river!

Jim

P.S. This is worth reading at www.realclassiccar.co.uk . Look for Techniques then The Oil Truth.

EDIT.

THIS LINK is wrong! See the next post by MVPeters. Sorry - Jim.

Last edited by Jim.Walker on Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:37 am; edited 2 times in total
MVPeters

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actuallly here & well worth reading:

http://www.realclassic.co.uk/techfiles/oil030319.html

Does anyone have any hands-on experience of synthetic oils in vintage motors?

Mike
MVPeters@comcast.net
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I made a mess of that link. I've put an EDIT on my original post. Thanks for correcting it. The article shoots down lots of mis-conceptions and myths about oil, written by a well informed and qualified person.

Jim.
Keith D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

I'm not nit picking, but Austin Sevens most definitely DO have oil pumps!

Keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: