classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Restoring my 1967 Thomson Glenalmond
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monday dinnertime I will try to get the main lower corner piece made, this will hold the back end up where it should do as it sags at the moment hence the reason the lower outer skin is back on...to line it up before cutting and screwing anything together, knowing me it will be solid dry and great but not the right shape Rolling Eyes

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

67/68 Thomson Glenelg WANTED
Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot the Jigsaw today so made the frame instead...

Looking good so far, few issues as expected but its going well so far Very Happy

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to get the main side support made and fitted today as well as a good clean out. The old corner was an inch thick beam cut from a plank so the grain was across the width at the bottom and not very strong (although it did support the caravan for 40 odd years!) I decided to make a solid corner support from Mahogany and its worked well. Will support the upper caravan more and also survive any knocks on the corners if it happens.

Couple of horizontal beams to replace then thats this corner done, only 3 others, a front, a back and a roof to go Shocked

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to get the top rail repaired and the top corner section in. The centre panels are now off the outside between the windows, strangely this area is rock solid and has had no water ingress, maybe due to the wardrobe on the inside holding the wall soild and not loosening the seams...?

Hope to get the other 2 panels at the front end removed tomorrow, this will show me the other bad corner area in need of work. Once the whole frame is solid and repaired it will be detached from the caravan to fit the internal walls as it would have been in the factory, should make some interesting photos Laughing

Exterior grade 1/8in Ply is what its getting, hopefully be slightly more rot resistant than interior grade. 8x4 sheets for £10 each so far, not shopped around yet so maybe cheaper, marine ply was about £40 a sheet so didnt fancy that idea!

Once the walls are bonded and nailed to the frame and window holes cut its then time to spray or brush the whole frame and the unseen side of the walls with something like fence treatment to try and fend off any rot if it leaks, it is a caravan after all Laughing

Then fit the polystyrene insuation cut to size in every recess, then on goes the prepared outer skin ready to paint Laughing

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the side off today, pleased to see it was no worse than the back end...

You can see the front walls have been replaced before, different colour and slightly thicker.

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

Knowsley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick

Your doing a grand job, every day your coming through with update after update......and I see you've removed that Abbey gas bottle locker too!

David
Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David, I was beginning to think I was boring you all with the updates... Its going well and its looking good for the side to be done withing the next week or 2. I only get 2 hours a day in 3 parts so struggle to get much done, might get the plywood for the walls soon, that will be major progress as its all starting to look a bit bare now Laughing

The Gas box removal was a mixed thing, looked better for it going but exposed a bodged bent kinked and awful extended A frame! I will be replacing the whole thing from a scrap Chassis I had (it was for the Safari as its rotten on that but can get another) It wasnt long enough for the box so has been cut, extended and channel welded in...badly. All the angles have changed and lumps of wood used to pack it out to fit! Shocked

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Mick....... I ain't bored. Full of admiration for what you are doing. Working in such short sessions, it would take me the first session to remember what.............. what ? Laughing

Last edited by Peter_L on Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Fluffle-Valve

Location: At my computer in a bungalow in Duston, Northampton.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bored?!

Are you kidding?

We may not be coming up with the replys that often, but believe me, I for one have been glued to this restoration, so crack on Mick and just keep us all posted.... Wink

Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats ok then, didnt want to think you were all bored Laughing

Looking at getting the new A frame welded on nearer the completion of the caravan, the wood work and structure is the main thing I want sorting first.

Next week should see the majority of the woodwork done on this side (setting deadlines is never good Laughing ) then it can come off to get adjusted to fit the original alloy sheeting if needed...easier said than done!

Been looking for upholstery for it, the rear bed layout has been a bit of a mystery, I thought I knew how it went but seeing photos of an earlier version with the same layout changed the plans... think its sorted now, they will be the single biggest expense with it Shocked

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I have:

It's new old stock; it measures 14" overall; the well measures about 12½" square, tapering to 12" sq at its top surface.
I have also some upholstery I salvaged from a Buccaneer:
2 off 56" x 25" x 6"
1 off 64" x 12" x 3" on wooden frame (backrest)
1 off 56" x 12" x 3" backrest (wooden frame)
1 off 24" x 17" x 6".
Any use?
gresham flyer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
Great work Very Happy Restoring a caravan myself at the moment ...........but 1/8 inch ply or 3mm is a bit under the dimensions I would use.

Regards
Mark.
Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gresham flyer wrote:
Hello,
Great work Very Happy Restoring a caravan myself at the moment ...........but 1/8 inch ply or 3mm is a bit under the dimensions I would use.

Regards
Mark.

Thats what it is made from from new, the sides sandwich between the ends and that makes the width and make the outer panels on it now fit... I expected 1/4 in but its only 1/8... Shocked

Thanks for the offer Uncle Alec but the sizes are wrong for the Thomson. Also think to Roof light was for the Son Of Eccles Very Happy

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not had chance this last week with the snow and work I had to do on my Discovery, I will be back on it next week so keep looking Laughing

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, fair enough. Anyone else want them?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: