classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Hillman Aero Minx restoration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Back home now Reply with quote

Well, at long last (almost exactly twelve months) she is back home. The guys at Valley Gas Speed Shop in Andover, particularly panel man Gary and boss Jimmy have done a tremendous job on her. She has received some fabulous praise while on the premises and equally on the way home last week. I am really very pleased with the result and bar some very small corrections that will be made in the next few weeks she is almost perfect and quite the 'head turner' I hoped she might be. Jimmy is planning to take her to the NEC in November for the Classic Car show to show her off in her bare ally splendour. The 'full colour' unveiling may have to wait a while longer. The added bonus has been that I was able to hook up some temporary fuel and electrics today and she started and ran. This was admittedly after discovering that the distributor was 180 degrees out and I had flames shooting up through the carburetor! So pleased about that as it has been about 18 months since the engine was assembled. I have a number of slightly niggly things to attend to including solving the fact that the clutch pedal strikes the bell housing when depressed. I will add some further posts as the weeks go by.

D4B

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow !! Stunning work, congratulations Cool Cool
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant, such a stunning car. The workmanship put into the body is terrific.
alanb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GORGEOUS !!!

Morris 8 two seater
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvellous job, looks superb (I'd almost be tempted to keep it in bare aluminium!).

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
colwyn500

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing workmanship.
Your framing must have been excellent to allow such perfect proportions to be created.
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An amazing period piece! Well done!

Peter
Lebro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Great Progress Reply with quote

Hi Tim.

Looking great, Hope to see it in the flesh sometime.

Bob.
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Rev counter Reply with quote

Thank you all for your very generous comments. For those who would like to see her she will be at the NEC show in November on the builders stand. I am aiming to get her there in paint in 2016 although this may extend to a two year gap if outstanding problems dont get solved as quickly as I would like!
While I am on the subject of problems I wonder if anyone can assist me with a small but potentially troublesome issue. I know from period photographs that the early streamlined saloons came with separate 3" Smiths speedo and rev counter/tachometers. However I only have a single take off point on the gearbox for the speedo which leaves me wondering how I connect the rev counter? Of course I don't have anything to copy as all the existing (2) later streamlined saloons have the combined gauge requiring just the one socket.
Presumably it would be possible too make a junction of some kind but would welcome any opinions particularly from anyone who has done it before.
Thanks again
Lebro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim.
Rev counter cables would normaly come from the engine rather that the gearbox, On my TR for instance it comes from a "junction" on the distributer drive.

Bob.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Rev counter Reply with quote

1935Hillman wrote:
However I only have a single take off point on the gearbox for the speedo which leaves me wondering how I connect the rev counter? Of course I don't have anything to copy as all the existing (2) later streamlined saloons have the combined gauge requiring just the one socket.

As Bob says, a tacho cable would usually come from the engine - if it were a mechanical drive. If, however, the later ones only need one cable then that suggests that the tacho on those could be electrical, though I'm not sure when those were invented. Are you sure yours is a cable drive? If it is and there's no obvious takeoff point on the engine perhaps someone has done some parts swapping in the past, perhaps (say) substituting an incorrect distributor.
JP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lebro wrote:
Tim.
Rev counter cables would normaly come from the engine rather that the gearbox, On my TR for instance it comes from a "junction" on the distributer drive.

Bob.

Or from the dynamo as on MG's?
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
Yes, Bob I now know from an old magazine article sent to me that the rev counter was indeed driven off the distributor. My distributor is not suitable at present but when you get the chance, could you kindly send me a picture of your TR setup so that I have at least some idea what it looks like ? That would be very helpful.
If anyone has anything similar on their car I would very much like to see it if possible.
The car can of course be completed without the gauge connected but I would like to do it properly at some stage.
The in period articles I have for the Aero Minx also verifies that the first, March bodied cars also sported separate speedo and rev counters so they were obviously fitting them as standard equipment until the rather Heath Robinson but highly sought after combined gauge came in in about 1934
I attach a period picture of the interior of a saloon showing the dash gauges
Regards,
Tim
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I will go for a replacement dynamo with tacho drive a la Ferguson tractor type C40T. I have been offered one at a decent price so that will probably turn out to be the answer. No-one seems to be supporting my dizzy driven idea for prewar British cars so that seems to be going nowhere.
Just a general observation and a little reminder to all of us restoring old cars. That is, no-one 'knows' for certain on any subject regardless of how knowledgeable they may be. An good Illustration of this came to me at Beaulieu. I was at that time still looking for a 3" Smiths rev counter and approached a trade stand laid out with a large number of very nicely restored vintage gauges, mostly Smiths. I said hello to the trader who had all the appearance of having great experience and knowledge of the subject and asked the obvious question. The man behind the stand frowned and replied "three inch? are you sure?" "yes", I said, "often placed in a dash with a matching three inch speedo" (as it indeed was) The man deepened his frown and repeated his lines, this time with the definite intonation that I was sadly barking up completely the wrong tree. He went on to attempt to administer help by saying "I don't think you'll find a three inch gauge, I'm not sure I've ever come across one"
I moved on
An hour later I had found two of the blighters, one of which I bought and forms the basis of my previous question regarding drives.

[/i][/b]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: