classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Brake Springs removal & Refitting advice?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
D4B

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Brake Springs removal & Refitting advice? Reply with quote

Any advice welcome!!

Hi, having rarely worked on drum brakes before, I am having difficulty
removing the brake shoe return springs on my Peugeot D4B van front brakes...

I have of course taken photos and even drawn a diagram so
I remember how the shoes & springs were fitted to aid reassembly.

However the springs are under huge tension, and even if I manage to prise them off (either with long nose pliers or screwdriver or both)
I can't imagine how I would get them back on!

As you can see in the photo, procedings are made more difficult with the large front hub in the way...

Can anyone offer any useful tips?

Cheers Steve.

Ray the rocker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

hi steve,looking at that setup, i don`t think i`d even try with pliers or scewdrivers as those brake shoe retaining clips normally hug the shoe to the backplate.looks as if the hub is held by the large nut so it will be retained by a taper and woodruff key . as long as you can lay your hands on a decent puller that fits over the studs i`d try that route for fear of many bandaged fingers!! how many times have people tried before knowing the result will be severed skin on knuckles! good luck....

cheers ray the rocker...
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Not sure if you mean the springs I do, but the easiest way is to put some twine, or stong sting (I use baler twine) through the spring, and a bit of wood through the loop you make, so it doesn't cut your hands, then pull up, when the tension is off the shoes and on you, you can flick the spring off with a screwe driver or if you are brave (or is that stupid) like I do just with my fingers. Then hook them in one end, and lift the string up spreading the spring before popping them back on at the other end, when rebuilding.

I do tractors and forklifts, with massive heavy duty brakes like this with no issues.

Do the shoes not have a spring clip or bolt to hold the shoes to the back plate?

Cheers

Dave

Last edited by buzzy bee on Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Springs removal & Refitting advice? Reply with quote

D4B wrote:
Any advice welcome!!

I have of course taken photos and even drawn a diagram so
I remember how the shoes & springs were fitted to aid reassembly.
Cheers Steve.

Hi

I allways do one side at a time if I can if I am not knoledable of how they go together, then you have one you can look at.

Cheers

Dave
Farmer John

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve, just a couple of points which might help. The shoe retaining clip in the photo is "U" shaped and has a tang which is locked in by a wee ramp fitting into a hole. Do not try to understand my description, but the trick is to lever at the inside of the base of the "U" out towards the camera.
Probably be easier with the pipes off, they look like brake pipes from here, and stuff some rag in the holes.
Now, the shoes. Use a decent lever, the biggest philips is perfect, use the hub for an anchor, and lift the end of the shoe off the wheel cylinder and let it slide past the cylinder to a place where the spring will go slack. Then do the other end of that shoe. At that stage the bottom shoe and the springs usually fall to the floor. The lever needs to be inserted sort of radially to the axle, and between the shoe and the backplate. If this works you will be glad of your diagram because there will be parts everywhere.
If your shoes are not being used again then clamp your biggest vise-grip on the end of the shoe and simply lift the shoe off the cylinder, that keeps everything under control but does not look anywhere near as impressive to folks watching.
When everything is renewed and refitted, the clips are slid into place, pushing them radially outwards parallel to the backplate.
If the backplate has a flange around the outside which prevents the shoes lifting off the cylinders, then remove the springs with some proper brake spring pliers, use good ones, leaving the clips until last.
Good luck Steve!

John
D4B

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you all for all your replies, I did manage to remove the brake pipe no probs...

buzzy bee wrote:

Do the shoes not have a spring clip or bolt to hold the shoes to the back plate?

Cheers

Dave

Dave, yes there is a spring clip holding each shoe to the back plate, and also due to a lip around the back plate it's not possible to lever the shoes up off the cylinders to release the tension of the springs, however it might be easier once the spring retaining clip is removed ~ haven't tried that yet..

I will probably try your baler twine route, as removal of the hub requires an extremely thin walled socket, and although I have lots of large hub sockets none are thin walled enough... may end up grinding one down!

It may be Wednesday before I have another crack at it but will update you. Thanks again....
D4B

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to find a couple of hours this afternoon. Couldn't find
any baler twine (re Buzzy Bee), but being an electrician I had
some steel wire armoured wire (which was left over after I
weighed in the copper of course!!)

This worked a treat just like you said Dave... Many Thanks!!

So shoes & springs off now, heres a pic of one cylinder after
removing & cleaning up a little. Have managed to free off the
adjuster nicely, but the piston inside is jammed, have to figure
that out another day...

My objective at the moment is merely to free off this wheel so
it makes the whole van more mobile (ie perhaps it can be pushed
in & out of the garage when I want to work on it!!)

Here's the handbrake cable as I found it: hope that's not the work
of the french peugeot main dealer.... Cool

Many Thanks for everyones help ~ invaluable
D4B

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farmer John wrote:
Hi Steve, just a couple of points which might help. The shoe retaining clip in the photo is "U" shaped and has a tang which is locked in by a wee ramp fitting into a hole. John

John, yes it was exactly as you described, I just flicked them out towards
me.... What a fantastic forum, who'd have thought I'd be getting advised
about my Peugeot drum brakes from New Zealand Cool Cool

Cheers for your help...
Steve.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: