classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1966 Fiat 500F Restoration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
colwyn500

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to say earlier, have you tried a socket on that gearbox filler plug? Although it's a 13mm tapered, square head, I found that a 9/16" socket jammed on nicely.
vitesse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colwyn500 wrote:
I meant to say earlier, have you tried a socket on that gearbox filler plug? Although it's a 13mm tapered, square head, I found that a 9/16" socket jammed on nicely.

I got it out used a half inch socket extension bar. I put the square end, that normally goes on the ratchet end, on the filler plug it fits perfectly, then a spark plug socket on the other end and used a spanner on the socket where it has the nut shaped bit. Came out easily but I had to take the exhaust off to get to it. I have ordered a new one as it was a bit mangled over the years.
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vitesse wrote:

This is how sad I have become check out the screw heads.

How did you polish the heads Question

Car looks amazing Cool well done Wink

Jens Christian
vitesse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jens. I didn't polish the heads, I simply replaced the screws. The good thing about the 500 is you can buy virtually every nut and bolt for them. It must be quite a big business as the are at least a dozen parts shops dotted all over Europe.

It is so much cheaper to buy them from Europe rather than the UK. I priced up some parts yesterday that I need, from Germany they would cost me £20 including shipping and normally take 2 days to arrive. From a UK supplier that is only about 10 miles from me the same parts would cost about £60. They are all sourced from the same manufacturers in Italy.

Tony
vitesse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completed two remaining windows that required sealant today. I must add it is one of the worse jobs I have had to do on the rebuild so far. It takes about an hour per window and squeezing a caulking gun for 2 hours does lead to quite a sore hand by the end of it. Its not particularly messy if you mask around the window rubbers but tedious to say the least.

I also mounted the rear number plate to the engine lid. I had found the original Bluemel plates that I took off the car years ago and replaced with pressed ones. I wanted to use them to add to the originality, of course they needed a lick of paint but I am really happy with them. I used tap washers to mount them to stop any damage to the paintwork. I just need to stick a bit of black paint on the bolt heads to finish off the job.

Also I mounted the front badge.

I need to find some brackets to mount the front number plate below the bumper, previously it was held onto the front panel by double sided tape but I want it in the correct place, as there are holes in the underside of the bumper to mount it.

My boxes of bits that are required to go back on the car has shrunk to virtually nothing so next week is definitely engine back in, so I will do a nice little video of the first start up once back in the car.
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats looking lovely!
I used tap washers behind my plates to prevent them touching the body work plus it packs the back out a bit and prevents distorting the plate when tightening the bolts up.

Kev
D4B

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luigi has got his face back Cool Cool
colwyn500

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiat 500 Classic Car Rescue C5 8 o clock tonight
colwyn500

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS. Was rubbish (as expected)
Not a patch on your standards Tony.
vitesse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colwyn500 wrote:

I have it recorded Peter. Will watch in a bit. There is one on Wheeler Dealers that was ok. You can see on YouTube.
vitesse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big day came today. Engine back in, with the help of my very good neighbour.

So the plan is to squeeze this into this.

And you get this!!!!!!!

Incredible that it is held in place by four bolts.

I have connected up a few of the wires and cables, so the rest will get done tomorrow. Along with the rubber pipes for cooling and connecting up the drive shaft. Note to self don't forget the little springs. So the big switch on will be probably Wednesday.
vitesse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vitesse wrote:
colwyn500 wrote:

I have it recorded Peter. Will watch in a bit. There is one on Wheeler Dealers that was ok. You can see on YouTube.

Just watched Peter. I enjoyed it because it was nice to see a 500 in it but unfortunately the two main people are complete expletives, so ruined it.

The bonnet gap was huge, I don't know what was going on there. Plus as Ant said on another thread you wouldn't spend 2k on an engine rebuild and not replace the clutch. Plus the sunroof fitting was really poor, saggy at the back.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The door bottoms had a dodgy fit and the seats probably wouldn't align because of their heavy handed way of doing things. The main thing is that the car melted the hearts of The "big" men, who all ended up appearing to genuinely love it. Usual thing, after mocking it when it arrived they all wanted to get in it.

I doubt the car will last as long before its next restoration as yours will. Well timed yours is too because your going to have all summer to buzz around in it looking for your next project. Wink
If I could have been allowed to get on with it, mine could have been 80% painted over the scorching days of Easter...28.2 C on our very sheltered patio
D4B

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A major milestone Tony, good luck today, I can feel a youtube start up video on the horizon Cool

PS even my love of the Fiat 500 wasn't enough to prevent me from switching off Bernies programme.... simply dreadful, what a couple of clowns Crying or Very sad
vitesse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connected everything else up today. All appears to work ok apart from the throttle cable that kept sticking, so I took it back out and squirted some duck oil down it and there was a lot of rusty gunge that came out the other end but with enough oil down there it started to clear, so I put the cable back in and appears to have resolved the issue.

Starter motor turns the engine over ok. But when I turned it over by hand I could hear a nasty scrapping noise that I thought was coming from the fan housing, which would of been a nightmare to take apart with the engine inside the car. So I took the pulley and fan belt off and turned the fan by hand and it was smooth as anything, so fortunately not that. Further inspection underneath and I took the plate off under the flywheel and noticed that the sump gasket was actually rubbing on the flywheel as it was squashed so much. So I need to take the sump off and just confirm that it is the cause of the noise I can hear. Also there was signs of oil leaking around the gasket, so I will need to get a new gasket and probably use some hylomar on it just to be certain.

Fortunately Ricambio Fiat is only about 10 miles away. I don't mind paying UK prices for a single gasket, well have just looked on the web maybe I do after all £6.60 in the UK £1.50 in Europe Shocked

So I will need to drain the oil out and get a new gasket, so startup is delayed Crying or Very sad

I also notice little leaks from some of the unions on the brake lines that I hadn't tightened up enough, I tightened them yesterday and they all look nice and dry today. Pressure is still okay on the pedal but another quick bleed and it should improve even more.

I suppose you should expect all these little teething issues when the car has been in so many bits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 20 of 34

Jump to: