classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Morris 8 Two Seater Windscreen Wiper cable
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
TM8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Morris 8 Two Seater Windscreen Wiper cable Reply with quote

Hi,
What is the correct path for the Windscreen Wiper power supply cable? Is it surface mounted or hidden in the Windscreen frame and where does it go through the Bulkhead scuttle? Are there any special clips to hold the cable?
Regards
Trevor
Rosco663

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gidday Trevor,

Being a little different the wiper motor on mine is vacuum operated but the routing would be similar. There wasn't much left of the old vacuum line and I started to remove it before unleashing the camera Embarassed

There is a hole in the scuttle just near the lower right hand corner of the windscreen.

As in this example from a very nicely restored Series II the routing hole is in front of the windscreen. This may lead to water ingress so I will keep mine inside the cab. The cable is routed through this hole leaving enough length to allow for your windscreen to be tilted.

The actual run is quite slack as follows and a few small cable clipa are screwed into the windscreen frame at the top right hand corner and a the others to keep it tidy.

The screw that attaches the clip fits in the gap of the windscreen frame and not so long as to go all the way through.

This should steer you in the right direction Cool

Cheers
TM8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Rosco, you never fail to amaze thanks for the help i have so many holes on my current scuttle plate/Bulkhead that i wasnt sure which ones to close and which ones to leave open.
Funny you say Vacuum unit there was one mounted on the windscreen when i bought the car but there was no piping or Manifold attachment to convince me that it was orginal.
Regards
Trevor
Rosco663

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries Trevor, my pleasure Wink

The vacuum take off on mine is a small 1/8" pipe which comes out of the inlet manifold. The vacuum hose slips over this and routed to the wiper motor. But as with most of the rubber items on my poor old girl was perished beyond redemption.

I am actually in two minds whether or not to keep the vacuum unit or go for an electric motor . The problem with vacuum is it may influence the carburation and are not a good constant speed item. But I guess if I can get mine running it will be retained - and maybe avoid driving in the rain..........Rolling Eyes

Cheers
goneps

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor,

You've probably seen the recent exchanges about this on the MR 8MVS.

Starting at the beginning, it was established some months ago that the original routing of the cable had it emerging from a hole in the scuttle about an inch in front of the bottom right-hand corner of the windscreen frame, then entering under the corner of the rubber sealing strip.

Although an advocate of originality I greatly dislike this arrangement, because it's ugly and messy and as Rosco pointed out merely provides a place for rain to find its way in. When my Tourer was restored (not by me) the hole was filled in and the cable fed through another hole behind the screen, similar to Rosco's. However, you'll find this a less convenient arrangement if you wish to fold down the windscreen; personally I have no desire to, because:

1. it's quite breezy enough with the windscreen up,
2. you can't open the bonnet, and
3. resetting the rubber sealing strip is the world's biggest pain when you raise the screen again.

The only time mine has ever been folded down was when shipping the car, to save space in the container.

The Parts List shows that three clips were used to secure the cable to the inside of the frame, and since there are no holes in the frame for conventional clips such as Rosco suggests the logical conclusion is that they were specials that slid between the glass and sealing rubber, or rubber and frame. Just the sort of thing that's so easily lost or broken, which is why it's unlikely that anyone still living has actually seen one.

The alternative, therefore, is simply to glue the cable in place using contact adhesive. This has worked well for me, and has avoided the need to despoil the frame with holes and the clutter of ugly clips.

Richard

Rosco663

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goneps wrote:
Trevor,

You've probably seen the recent exchanges about this on the MR 8MVS.

Gidday Richard,

You got me Shocked What is the MR 8MVS?

Cheers
goneps

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Afternoon Rosco,

It's an email-based mutual aid group for Eight-owning members of the Morris Register of Great Britain. Much like a forum, but whenever anyone emails the group everyone gets a copy. Excellent system—you don't have to go hunting for topics, they just arrive in your inbox.

Cheers,

Richard
TM8

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard,
Thanks for that i am convinced to rather feed it inside as i have the oportunity to do it now.
Regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: