classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

How many more will fall victim to this
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Show News, Reports, Press Releases & Photographs
peppiB

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: How many more will fall victim to this Reply with quote

http://www.wearebarnsley.com/news/article/5381/classic-car-rally-cancelled
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an event that I have attended as exhibitor for the past 10 years. It is a well organised event that is very popular with local people. It does also include the local RR Club. So probably it does not suit the Kremlin sympathisers in Barnsley council.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine who has organised a local show for a few years, gave up with it all, the h&s and related red tape was just too much for him in the end.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
kevin2306

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to run the motorcycle section for the Clwyd Veteran and Vintage Machinery Society.
Apart from having a run of really bad weather, causing the show to be either cancelled or a complete financial loss through being washed out (happened 3 years on the trot), our insurers and risk assessors decided it would be required, for all motorcycle owners parading their motorcycles in the show ring, to wear an approved crash helmet.
I gave it up at that point.

Kev
ka

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only speak for our Club here. The Club carries insurance that is available for all Sections on organised (non-competitive) runs, organised within certain rules that provide exemption from the MSA requirements, and also static gatherings.
A robust Risk-Assessment is always required, and one of the definitions of robust, is the person(s) that compile it, are able to assess risks and know what they are doing. We also extend our insurance to third party and public liability insurance. If you organise any formal gathering, and do not have public liability, better find the deeds to your house, as you are just waiting to give them away.
I have sympathy for event organisers who struggle with over-efficious local officials, but demonstrate you have the requirements, know what you are doing, and have a suitable risk assessment, then there are no issues.
I prefer to have insurance backing me when organising such events, last year it was my name jointly heading the event with 1260 entries, and in excess of 15000 visitors.
These days are no different to the past, accidents will happen, but it is by shear luck event organisers have 'got away' with it. Can you imagine, standing in Court, being questioned by a Barrister, explaining why in your opinion it is safe to ride a motorcycle without a helmet (think Michael Schumakker), explaining to the family of the deceased why you considered it was safe, and to run without insurance? Corporate manslaughter?
You are braver than I!
Rules are provided to protect all, organisers included.

Better three than four.
Penman

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I noticed, yesterday, that Seb V wasn't wearing his helmet when he got his scooter pillion ride back to the pits.
I don't think any of them do, yet I suspect that they are travelling faster than a parade lap round a show ring.
The speed of course could be immaterial.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The club i was involved with (fully insured and a ltd company i might add) were successfully sued one year, a visitor to the vintage show (held on a series of show fields) broke her ankle afer her foot went down a rabbit hole!
The club were found negligent.

No such thing as sorry anymore

Kev
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin2306 wrote:
The club i was involved with (fully insured and a ltd company i might add) were successfully sued one year, a visitor to the vintage show (held on a series of show fields) broke her ankle afer her foot went down a rabbit hole!
The club were found negligent.

No such thing as sorry anymore

Kev

Shocked stupid %^&**^ woman, whatever happened to people being responsible for their own neck - or in this case ankle?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I broke my arm 4 years ago whilst taking part in a charity event organised by the company I worked for. I lost count of the number of people who suggested I should sue Shocked ......it's unfortunately the nature of the times we live in, people want an easy route to cash. I obviously didn't sue; it was an accident and possibly could have been avoided....but that's life Smile

Dave
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting comment from Kevin. We held a club event a few years back at Cannon Hall (start of this thread). Now despite the site being open to the public and no admission charge being made our risk assessment had us post notices all around the site advising that it was a natural site and the ground could be uneven or wet etc. Thought it was OTT at the time but maybe not!
I did hear recently of someone threatening to sue a burger van at an event after they burnt their mouth on the onions!
The problem is all of the effluent that has set its self up as no win no fee representatives in such cases. I regularly get a text advising that they are sitting on £3800 awaiting my claim for the accident that I recently had. If ever I run across them in person there certainly will be an accident!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Show News, Reports, Press Releases & Photographs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: