classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1969 Fiat 500F Restoration Resolution
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
D4B

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Cool
vitesse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to see the little Fiat finally back in one piece. How many years do you reckon since it last graced the road?
colwyn500

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless anyone can contradict me who knows the previous life of the car, and if my memory is correct, it will be 41 years since this car was last on the road.
I must say that as I have been tidying things up in the later stages of this, the good condition under the dirt and the very low mileage both back this up.Smile
D4B

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My little Honda was only off the road for 21 Years, and the Peugeot (now sold) was off the road 18 years.... 41 Shocked Shocked
colwyn500

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be needing another car now Steve. Some nice French and Japanese oddities on James May last night so plenty to choose from.
My previous record for restoring was my Austin at 28 years off the road. Now 22 years since restoring and got it's first tappet adjustment last week but only on the one loose screw that was rattling. In other words, 50 years + since the engine had any major
work done to it.
D4B

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colwyn500 wrote:
Some nice French and Japanese oddities on James May last night so plenty to choose from.

Yes my Honda is one of those KEI vehicles he was talking about.... 360cc
colwyn500

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D4B wrote:
colwyn500 wrote:
Some nice French and Japanese oddities on James May last night so plenty to choose from.

.......and very nice it is too Very Happy
colwyn500

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D4B wrote:
colwyn500 wrote:

.......and very nice it is too Very Happy
vitesse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colwyn500 wrote:
Unless anyone can contradict me who knows the previous life of the car, and if my memory is correct, it will be 41 years since this car was last on the road.
I must say that as I have been tidying things up in the later stages of this, the good condition under the dirt and the very low mileage both back this up.Smile

So it only spent 4 years on the road, that's incredible considering the state it was in. If only someone had chucked a cover over it in the dry storage, imagine the condition it could have been in.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWMBO is having two weeks off work so work is being delayed. On the plus side, making excellent progress with the house build. Smile Sad
I did get to play with the passenger door and make it clunk shut fairly well. It was tricky to be sure that it would all align once the rubber seals were fitted and all the weight was added, but it is pretth good after a slight adjustment to the striker plate.
Still buffing up the wheel trims and being stainless they don't have that high chrome shine but have the look that I like.

BRA_7772 by peterthompson, on Flickr
colwyn500

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some sneaky time today and got stuck into the trim round the driver's door window having already done the passenger one last week or maybe the week before. It's a b@$+@&! of a job and imagine my horror when I realised I had put the wrong winding window in Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Lesson learned, I dismantled the first door, put it all back together again and now feel like a bit of an expert on this tricky job. That's always the way after the job is done.
BRA_7777 by peterthompson, on Flickr
So two doors fitted, all windows and locks working. Now just need to clean and fit the door panels and the interior will be done. Very Happy
colwyn500

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A brief update but too late and dark for photos.
With the fuel tank fitted I thought I would give the engine a try. It has only had a bit of a testbed run before now. It kicked in after three pulls of the starter and the old thing moved a very short distance under it's own power first time for who knows how long. It looks like I have generator or control box problems...not surprising really as the dynamo itself probably needs remagnetising. It's great to sit in the car and see all the dash lights working properly.
Tyres are on their way so another week or so should see us rolling. Very Happy

Last edited by colwyn500 on Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
kevin2306

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colwyn500 wrote:
A brief update but too late and dark for photos.
With the fuel tank fitted I thought I would give the engine a try. It has only had a bit of a testbed run before now. It kicked in after three pulls of the starter and the old thing moved a very short distance under it's own power first time for who knows how long. It looks like I have generator or control box problems...not surprising really as the dynamo itself probably needs remagnetising. It's great to sit in the car and see all the dash lights working properly.
Tyres are on their way so another week or so should see us rolling. Very Happy

Great progress
I went out in the dark my Singer last week as it occurred to me that I have always driven it during daylight. It was a lovely experience with the low light levels of the dash etc..slightly worse driving experience however as I realized the driving lights need re-aligning Smile

Kev
colwyn500

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/
You're right Kev, in the dark in an old car really is evocative. Probably the fact that there are fewer distractions to show you are really in the modern world.
Anyway, scrubbed the door panels with my patented solution (neat washing up liquid,) then treated with Autoglym. I won't get at the car until Monday now.
I flashed the dynamo windings but still no joy, so might need to get at the control box. I am going to need a volt meter.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRA_7841 by peterthompson, on Flickr
I think I am on the final straight now. Some photos from today with the car still caked in bits of grease, Waxoyl and window sealant. Obviously a final scrub and polish will be needed. Spot the next job, wheels and tyres but plans are afoot and that should get done this week. Also a few spots of paintwork that need a retouch.
BRA_7839 by peterthompson, on Flickr
I had never tested the fuel sender or even cleaned it particularly, so was delighted when my "test" (pouring 5 litres of petrol in the tank) showed that the red indicator light, which is all this version of the 500 has, went out at about the right point.
Bonnet not pulled right down yet as still awaiting the release spring.
BRA_7842 by peterthompson, on Flickr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Page 38 of 58

Jump to: