classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Lucky finds
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
mikeC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'est la vie!

I would have been prepared to pay more than that, I don't even particularly want it!
lowdrag

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where this stuff is coming from but now he's been to see me talking about the 1994 starter's flag (tricolor) all embroidered and autographed. Plus according to him about a yard high of documents relating to the races. I shall have a quiet word with the ACO I think.
norustplease

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst installing a nice classic Blaupunkt radio that I have had in a box on a shelf for a number of years, I realised when coming to the final stage, that I could not find the volume knob. It had been there when I started, and whilst installing the radio in the dashboard aperture, I had carefully put all the bits in the passenger footwell, from which (I thought) they could not escape.
I carefully investigated under all seats with my inspection light, then under the mats, felt along the rubber cover to the gearbox tunnel. I then crawled under the car in case I had inadvertently flipped it out, and finally reversed the car out onto the drive, and poked around everywhere around the garage units and under the Austin, to satisfy myself that it hadn’t rolled away somewhere, and finally accused the dog, who looked suitably guilty….all to no avail.
Wondering where, if anywhere, I would get a spare, I retired, feeling slightly demoralised.
A week later, and for other reasons, I had a garage clear out. One of the old bookcases that I used as storage shelves had finally succumbed to damp after 25 years ,sagging alarmingly and I had managed to salvage some steel racking as a replacement.
At the end of the weekend, I was starting a final tidy up so that I could put everything to bed.
The only thing left out of place was a large dense foam block that I use as a seat when fiddling around down at lower level, and on it was sat my inspection lamp. As I bent down to pick up the lamp, I noticed that it had something stuck to the magnetic base, something small round and black. The volume knob, completely unscathed and attached by a very small spring steel insert within the rubber, to the magnet.
It made my day.
Boring Tucson SUV
badhuis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norustplease wrote:
I noticed that it had something stuck to the magnetic base,

Yes - that little magnet is oh so useful and also oh so annoying. Countless times I have lost nuts and other small steel parts. Why these experiences do not have me thinking next time to look under the lamp when something is "lost" I do not know.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same person came to see me with this under his arm:-

The starter's flag from the '94 race. He also brought with him two old 78 records of the 1934 race. I wonder where he finds it all?
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go again. From 1923 an article (sadly in French) on aerodynamics but the pictures say it all, and a photo of Indianapolis from the same year.

And for those who like two wheels, the Tour de France 1948:-
winchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I went to a new Car boot sale, it was rubbish only 10 stalls.
I bough a Camera Tripod for £6 as it looked well made.
I had never heard of the Brand Satchler.
Sold it a few weeks later to a Film Crew for £800!
Bought a Caravan with the money and took the family on holiday now that was a result
biglee.40

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: lucky find! Reply with quote

As a favour I knocked down my inlaws shed and found a almost complete Austin j40 kiddies car! sold £650 Shocked Question Surprised Very Happy
DAK

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: 1951 Rolls Royce Silver Wraith Reply with quote

Hi all - I found this http://www.classiccarshq.co.uk/ads/1951-rolls-royce-silver-wraith which looks like a nice buy. Been looking for one of these for a while but there is a big price disparity. Can anyone tell me why the price of these old rollers vary so much? Thanks
Penguin45

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not quite sure that this is the purpose of this particular thread, DAK. I suppose that something is only worth what people are prepared to pay is the literal answer.

P45.
norustplease

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that the asking price reflects the amount of work that the car actually needs to get it up to scratch.

Personally speaking, I am not sure that an ancient Roller with all of its inherent potential restoration and running costs, would count as a lucky find, unless you had a few tens of thousands in reserve.
Boring Tucson SUV
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a couple of good (and heavy!) s/h books today. Georgano's "Encyclopedia of Motorcars" (1968) and the "Monstrous American Car Spotter's Guide 1920-1980". Both were up for £20 each (not a bad price), happily there was a half-price sale going on so they were snapped up for £20 the pair.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
BigJohn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a 1968 Georganos last year in a charity shop for £3.50. I was made up.
I also found what I thought was a small leather bound pocket bible with a press stud flap at a car boot sale on Sunday, it had "Leyland" on the front and "A Square Deal" written on the spine, in gold. It was a promo pack of cards From Leyland lorries. £1 (and it had a full deck of well used cards.) I give them to the Museum when I next go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: