classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Wiring loom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Miken

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Wiring loom Reply with quote

When making up a car wiring loom. What are peoples preferences?
a) Cloth harness tape, b) self amalgamating tape, c) heat shrink sleeving d) Something else or e) a combination of the above.
Thanks
Mike
colwyn500

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twenty odd years ago I wrapped mine in dry insulating tape. You can get a good tension on it. It still does the job and looks well.
goneps

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the answer to that question is to use what's appropriate for the age of the vehicle.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the 1980's we regularly sold hundreds of rolls of non-adhesive pvc tape to a company who manufactured wiring looms for their custom heavy trucks. Made by Advance tapes, UK.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used "loom tape" when I rebuilt the loom on the Firenza, aka non-sticky insulating tape. It's what the car had when it was new, so I wanted to keep it original.

The only trouble I've had is with the outside ends of the tape - apparently it should be possible to just pull the end of the tape a little and let it back against the previous turn and it should stay there, however mine was just unfurling so a little spot of glue on the end stops that.

As goneps said, though, the best thing is whatever it had originally. And don't use actual insulation tape.
Miken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good points,
Thanks for the replies.
Old Wrench

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending how many wires are in each bit of the loom (e.g. the main trunk tends to be the thickest) then use loom lacing to hold it together and then enclose in either cloth or non-adhesive loom tape.

May be sourced from:

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/product.php/514/braided-sleeving

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=206637&ref=lookahead

http://www.autosparks.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1128&oscsid=kb4cv6j7romkckfrri9cu1i4k6
Dobbin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loom Lacing, now that's something I haven't heard of for a number of years. In the 1980's I spent many hours repairing or making wiring looms. We used to use either lacing cord or self amalgamating tape depending on installation and use. If your methodical with your layout, both will look profesional and neat. Theres nothing more satisfying when it's finished than to see the wires running straight and true throught the loom. Very Happy
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dobbin wrote:
Loom Lacing, now that's something I haven't heard of for a number of years. In the 1980's I spent many hours repairing or making wiring looms. We used to use either lacing cord or self amalgamating tape depending on installation and use. If your methodical with your layout, both will look profesional and neat. Theres nothing more satisfying when it's finished than to see the wires running straight and true throught the loom. Very Happy

Hi: Thanks for reminding me about lacing. Been there, done that, in my early days as an electrician in the mining industry. Then came "spiwrap".

Must have wound on thousand of yards of that stuff.

Regards

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: