classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Awkward bulkhead seal for wiring harness
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
rcx822

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Awkward bulkhead seal for wiring harness Reply with quote

I've rewired my car. This photo shows a hole in the bulkhead (that's the metal between the engine bay and cabin right?), and you can see two wiring looms going thru it plus two 13mm OD hoses for the pneumatic locking diffs.

A regular seal won't work here because of the irregular shape that the breathers and wiring makes plus that the wiring and breathers go in two different directions, making an obtuse angle.

Ideas on how to seal this? Car is an off roader so especially important to seal up!

Peter_L

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps additional holes of suitable size to allow one grommet per tube and one per cable would be better than trying to "bodge" a solution.

I found that running cable through flexible plastic pipe rather than the spiwrap, which is introducing gaps into the equation.

For trouble free pass through, rubber bushed thread and nut adaptors and silicon caulking.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would tape all the cables tightly together as best you can ( there should be enough slack in a wiring loom to accommodate an entry / exit angle change) purchase a blanking grommet, cut or punch a suutible undersized hole, fit ....jobs a good un Smile use a dab of sealant if you need too.

Dave
Old Wrench

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at those blue pipes, they are rubbing against the metal: not good.

I would adopt the competition car solution (Bulkheads must be fire-resistant); make up an ally plate, and use separate grommets for each feed. Seal the plate to the bulkhead using body sealant mastic, and fasten with either Monometal Pop Rivets or Self Tappers.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Wrench wrote:
Looking at those blue pipes, they are rubbing against the metal: not good.

I would adopt the competition car solution (Bulkheads must be fire-resistant); make up an ally plate, and use separate grommets for each feed. Seal the plate to the bulkhead using body sealant mastic, and fasten with either Monometal Pop Rivets or Self Tappers.

Do it right the first time, approach.. in the end can save hours and £$.
ka

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are attempting a fireproof bulkhead, than I think the alloy plate, sealed with F/R sealer will do just the job. If you just want to fill the hole, position the loom, pipes etc in the hole centre, then use builders expanding foam. Available in an aerosol, and expands as it comes out of the aerosol, and sets hard (well as hard as foam sets!).

Better three than four.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ka wrote:
If you are attempting a fireproof bulkhead, than I think the alloy plate, sealed with F/R sealer will do just the job. If you just want to fill the hole, position the loom, pipes etc in the hole centre, then use builders expanding foam. Available in an aerosol, and expands as it comes out of the aerosol, and sets hard (well as hard as foam sets!).

And expands, and expands, and expands, and oozes and drips all over the place. It sticks like hell to everything you don't want it to and is impossible to clean off your hands or clothes. It's useful to a degree in building work but I wouldn't put it anywhere near a car. The alloy plate idea is a much better solution IMHO.
rcx822

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have seen some forum posts of people using sealants and expanding foam, but no photos and I can't visualise it. The hole is big, and the sealant would need to stop the wires moving in and out the hole.

Another thought I had was to use the OEM style grommets with the long "tail" like in the photo and then fill the tail with sealant to seal around the irrgeular shape formed by the hoses and wires. But finding the right size grommet will be difficult or impossible.

So maybe the suggested "competition car" solution, of the alloy plate and suitable grommets is the way to go. It unfortunately will require cutting the bulkhead but solves the problem properly.

D4B

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are all sorts available:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2055119.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xbulkhead+grommet&_nkw=bulkhead+grommet&_sacat=0

Or how about a rubber gear stick gaiter perhaps:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xrubber+gear+gaiter&_nkw=rubber+gear+gaiter&_sacat=0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: