classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

almost non-flashing indicator warning light
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
badhuis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: almost non-flashing indicator warning light Reply with quote

1963 TR4 with standard Lucas equipment.
Flashers work OK, and I can hear the flasher unit ticking. When switching on the flasher, either LH or RH, there's just one (fairly dim) lighting up of the indicator light (on the dashboard). No more.
I exchange the flasher unit with another one and this had the same result.
Looked at the grounding of the warning light and even fitted a separate ground wire to the housing, no result.

The strange thing is that I have the same happening on my Jaguar 420. This has two warning lights - one with a LH arrow on it and one with a RH arrow. Both flash just once (dimly) when indicating, and again all indicator lamps flash just fine.

Any tips what would be the cause of this?
DM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd expect that you have two faulty flasher relays.

Prove it by taking the indicator light wire off the relay and temporarilly connecting it directly to a fused 12v supply.

If the indicator light works ok then it must be the relay at fault.
47Jag

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badhuis,

The standard Lucas system for two warning lights is that the warning light terminal on the flasher unit is common to both lamps then the other L/S warning light wire is connected to the R/S flasher lamp feed and vice versa. The warning light gets it's ground/earth through the opposite side flasher lamps. If you only have one warning the other wire would go to ground/earth

Art
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO flasher problems 99.9% are usually caused by bad earths or poor connections at the lamps
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Old Wrench

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil - Nottingham wrote:
IMHO flasher problems 99.9% are usually caused by bad earths or poor connections at the lamps

Agreed: the flasher can is simply a thermal (Bi-Metal) strip which heats as load is applied ( 2 X 21 Watt bulbs = 42 Watts= 3.5 Amps) and heating causes the strip to bend which breaks the contact.

The Warning Lights are connected to each side circuit: i.e. near side and off side.

The feed is taken from the indicator switch and the feed is thus routed via the switch, to each side circuit of two bulbs, front and rear.

If the actual indicators are working and flashing correctly, then ergo, it must be a fault with the warning bulbs; as Phil states, poor earth.

Since what is happening is the warning lights are actually competing a circuit thru the front/rear bulbs, rather than direct to earth: and this separate mal-circuit suffers the resistance of two 42 amp bulbs (3.4 Ohms). Therefore, it is not surprising the warning lights only glimmer!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: