classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Water temp gauge dont show correct temp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Water temp gauge dont show correct temp Reply with quote

Hi all,

My water temp gauge dont show the correct temp

I have tried several different senders (std Mini items) but the needle only moves a little bit, when it gets hot.

If I unplug the wire on the sender, and stick it direct on to the engine block,
the needle then moves nice and evenly all the way up to 110 degrees,
so I guess I have the wrong sender ?

The gauge is a 2" (52mm) Smiths, half scale & original 1973 model, part no TC4308/00, the scale reads " 30 - 75 - 85 - 110 "
I have been told me there are different senders, for some of the Smiths temp gauges, one guy mentioned 4 different
so who can help ?

Jens Christian
michael1703

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can calibrate certain smiths gauges, on the back are two small sticky circles, take them off and you can insert a small flat bladed screwdriver and tweak them

JC T ONE

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael,

didnt know that Rolling Eyes thanks for the heads up Wink

Mine is a bit different, and I have found out that its defently a Smiths aftermarket accessorie.

I am sure its not connected to any volt stabilisor, I will try to bypass it, and see what reading I get ?
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the garage tonight, and checked the spare gauge I had (100% identical) .

connected it to 12 volt, and put the sender in the kettle, and it came up to 85/90 degrees.

I then pulled back the dash, to check if my gauge was connected to the stabilisor ?

It wasnt, it had 12volt directly to the gauge, I then tried it with 5 different senders, but it still wouldnt go above 40 degrees.

So my thought are = maybe there are TOO much resistence in the wire, going from the sender to the gauge in the car ?

What I dont understand is that it does go ”full scale” = 110 degrees , if you connect the sender wire direct to the engine block .

will investigate tomorrow, too tired now.
Minor1965

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JC T ONE wrote:
I was in the garage tonight, and checked the spare gauge I had (100% identical) .

connected it to 12 volt, and put the sender in the kettle, and it came up to 85/90 degrees.

I then pulled back the dash, to check if my gauge was connected to the stabilisor ?

It wasnt, it had 12volt directly to the gauge, I then tried it with 5 different senders, but it still wouldnt go above 40 degrees.

So my thought are = maybe there are TOO much resistence in the wire, going from the sender to the gauge in the car ?

What I dont understand is that it does go ”full scale” = 110 degrees , if you connect the sender wire direct to the engine block .

will investigate tomorrow, too tired now.

Hi JC T One,

I have the same problem with a Smiths Temp Gauge. Tried to fit a resistance in the range it should give a reading somewhere between 40 and 110 degrees. But sticks on 40. Resistance = 0 will give full scale. same as yours.

Did you solve the problem?

Thanks for the reply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: