classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

BA Machine Screws
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: BA Machine Screws Reply with quote

I have had some trouble with the steering wheel / horn push on my Commer lorry. The two original fixing screws for the horn push were brass, one snapped and the other the head literally disintegrated when pressure was put on it. They are small countersunk screws and I have managed now to extract them and with the use of my fathers very old and taps (given to him in the 1950's when doing his apprenticeship at a local Ford garage) I have re-thread/cleaned out the threads on the steering boss to take new screws.

The screw size required is 5 BA and I only need 2 at about 1 1/4" (30-35mm). The trouble I am having is finding somewhere where I can buy them at that length and just the couple I need. Have looked on ebay and I don't want to buy a pack of 20 at a fiver etc.

Anyone out there know of any good suppliers?
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd normally suggest Namrick, but they don't list 5BA at all, only 4 or 6. Spalding Fasteners are another one I use, but again don't list 5BA size.

Several people list them for model engineering applications, but they tend to be shorter than you want, and a lot of google results talk about M6 countersunk screws but I think the 5BA refers to the hole for the head cover.

I would think buying online you'll either run into minimum order quantities, or if you can buy one or two the postage will bring the price back up to a multi-pack.
roverdriver

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to stock BA set screws in my hobby shop, mainly for model railway enthusiasts. 5BA would be far too large for those people, but it might be worth a try. I did special orders of the larger ones for a film projector re-builder, and a camera restorer.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a good trawl through the net and many model makers websites/forums. The majority are suggesting that the BA system compares well with metric and 5 BA can be replaced with M3 metric. I will find some M3 screws out at work and try them to see what its like.
goneps

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth a 'phone call to Mike Peters of Surplus Supplies. He does list 5BA screws for motorcycle handlebar levers, which you could possibly adapt if you have access to a lathe:

http://www.polished-stainless.com/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/3534?opendocument&part=8#bolts

Why would you care about buying a pack of 50 when it only costs a quid?

I get all my BA and HT BSF fasteners from this source. Top quality, excellent prices, and quick service. Usual disclaimers.

Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: