classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Any tips or tricks for jump starting a lorry?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
chestevj

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Any tips or tricks for jump starting a lorry? Reply with quote

Just in case I'm out and about somewhere and the lorry decides not to start, can anyone offer any tips or tricks to help jump start it? Can you bump start a lorry for instance?

Also, thoughts please on siting a spare wheel (I've no overhang at the back of the lorry)? I've been told that rescue services will try for only a few minutes to remove your spare and if they can't, they'll just put a new tyre on and charge you for it. Anyone had experience of this please?

Ness
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you mean siting a spare wheel?
chestevj

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming the normal site for the spare wheel is attached to the chassis, positioned under the overhang at the back of the lorry. My lorry has no overhang, so I'm basically asking where one would site the spare wheel so that it's easily accessible.

Ness
Zoggie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips or tricks for jump starting a lorry? Reply with quote

Also, thoughts please on siting a spare wheel (I've no overhang at the back of the lorry)? I've been told that rescue services will try for only a few minutes to remove your spare and if they can't, they'll just put a new tyre on and charge you for it. Anyone had experience of this please?

Ness[/quote]

Hi Ness

I'm new to this forum and don't want to seem to know anything! But I'm an owner of a medium sized rescue/tow company in Essex. To my experience as long as there is a spare wheel on the truck is some times half the battle.

The problems we face is when dealing with a flat tire on a vehicle is that normal every day people that use their vehicles never check the spare wheel.

The normal fault we get with chassis mounted spare wheel is with the way it has been restrained to the vehicle, and due to lack of maintenance it becomes rusted and seized! Which becomes a problem at the roadside. ( The authorities just want you out of the way asap ) But they don't take into account that your vehicle is possibly a classic and well maintained.
chestevj

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Zoggie

Thanks for your post. That's a comfort at any rate. I'm hoping it might be possible to put it on the nearside outside box wall, behind the cab (it's a tilt cab so there's a fair gap behind the cab and box body), but failing that I'll go for the normal chassis hanging bracket type of scenario. Should be ok so long as I keep everything well greased!

Ness
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: