classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Painting areas that are not visible
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
rcx822

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Painting areas that are not visible Reply with quote

I've got some small areas of body work to paint, like inside the wheel arches. Also some holes that have been drilled in bodywork, in places that are not visible (for self tapping screws) and also some larger holes cut for pipes and things. I wanted to use something more hard wearing than hammerite. Is there such thing as two pac touch up paint that could be brushed on?

Last time I used hammerite in the wheel arches it really didn't last long. One salty winter later and a third of it was gone.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard a lot of bad things about Hammerite in the last few years, to the extent that I won't use it on the car I'm working on at the moment. That said, I painted the wheel-wells on my show car in 1998 and it's pretty much all still there. So maybe older Hammerite was better - no surprise if that's the case.

I've been using POR-15 in some areas on mine, but it doesn't like to be put on clean new steel unless, I think, you use a special type of primer. Elsewhere I've been using a decent marine-quality (apparently, time will tell) red oxide primer that I'll cover with Epoxy-Mastic when I've finished welding.

When I put self-tappers into the last car, I made a point of painting the hole and the screw with Waxoyl before putting it in, then some more over the head to hopefully "seal" it.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tremclad. I used it under the wheel arches of our old Explorer, it stayed there for several years bearing the brunt of long periods of snow, grit and ice.
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought Hammerite was over rated,far too brittle and never seems to have a decent hold so when it cracks rust spreads underneath very quickly.
I.ve found the old fashioned red oxide primer to last well,a couple of years ago I painted some outside metal work with a cheap tin of Wilko red oxide I found in the shed and its still sound even without a top coat. I did the sills on my taxi with an expensive combination of primer/undercoat and under seal at about the same time and they have already rotted through.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my Commer lorry I thought it might be good to paint the interior floor panels with Hammerite. At the end of the day they will be covered by seats / rubber matting but I thought the protection would be good. Four coats later and you can still see red oxide below it.

Its expensive and we won't use it again. I recall as a youngster starting out restoring thing that Hammerite was always the best recommended product. I suppose now though there are so many others out there that there is a much better choice.
norustplease

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustbuster epoxy mastic, a two pack brush on solution that does work. You need to degrease, and remove any loose scale, but apart from that it goes on everything, surface rust, bare metal, the lot. Available in a black and a limited range of colours.
Just Google Rustbuster.
Boring Tucson SUV
rcx822

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norustplease wrote:
Rustbuster epoxy mastic, a two pack brush on solution that does work. You need to degrease, and remove any loose scale, but apart from that it goes on everything, surface rust, bare metal, the lot. Available in a black and a limited range of colours.
Just Google Rustbuster.

Two pack sounds promising, brush on so I can do small areas, perfect!!!
goneps

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possibility is CRC ZincIt. Claimed to bond to steel and protect it in the same manner as hot-dip galvanising. Just finished spraying it on the Tourer's underfloor master cylinder, so time will tell—it seemed a better idea than paint, which is all too susceptible to the inevitable brake fluid spills.

Richard
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

norustplease wrote:
Just Google Rustbuster.

I've just started painting some of this on my project car, before I put the front wings on I wanted to do some of the areas that will be difficult to get to once they're on. Painted it yesterday so I don't know how well it's dried yet, seemed to cover quite a large area with a relatively small amount of paint. I'm brushing it on, way too much mess to be spraying. Practical Classics gave it a 'best product' prize a while back, which seemed encouraging.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: