classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Electric motor help needed
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
peppiB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard,

It was the major fastenings supplier not far from my home who quoted me as the stuff being available only in 10m lots. They are usually quite good, and inexpensive, but this time I had them stumped as they don't stock the M3 rod - other sizes yes, M3 no
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metric threads seem to be like the old woodscrew gauges - all are available, but the odd numbers aren't commonly used. Look at anywhere that shifts large volumes of threaed parts, they tend to go M6-M8-M10-M12 etc in their catalogues. Perhaps it's because those most common threads are roughly equivalent to the old fractional sizes that many of us still think in?
peppiB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod didn't arrive so the old grey matter started turning. Clutching at straws, so to speak, I cut the broken bolt on the unthreaded bit. Then taking a couple of inches of a narrow straw (roughly the same diameter as the bolt) I filled it with Araldite and pushed the 2 halves of the bolt in, leaving half a centimetre gap between the pieces (the length of broken thread that was lost.) Fifteen minutes later and I had a solid bolt. Result. Motor reassembled but not tried yet as I am too knackered to lift the batteries back on Sad
goneps

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
Metric threads seem to be like the old woodscrew gauges - all are available, but the odd numbers aren't commonly used. Look at anywhere that shifts large volumes of threaded parts, they tend to go M6-M8-M10-M12 etc in their catalogues. Perhaps it's because those most common threads are roughly equivalent to the old fractional sizes that many of us still think in?

M3 and M5 are considered common sizes. On the Imperial equivalent theory, 3mm is close to 1/8" and 5mm to 3/16". M7 x 1mm is somewhat scarcer, even though common on French and Italian vehicles.

That said, I'd certainly agree that odd-number BA threads are scarce.

Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: