classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Car Cover for a Morris 8 Series E
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
1stpop

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Car Cover for a Morris 8 Series E Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can get a fitted 'outdoor' cover for my Morris 8 Series E - I don't have a garage and want to at least ry and keep it in decent condition!
Ray the rocker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: car covers. Reply with quote

Tradition says you keep your jewels in a safe place.My experience with tailored car covers tend to overlook the plain obvious problems that occur.
I once covered a HA viva with waterproof /lined tarpaulin cover for a six month period.Needless to say---heavy sweating of damp air circulation caused minor blemishes on the paintwork,coupled with the damp smell syndrome inside which took ages to get rid of.Bricks and mortar is a must for a classic---coupled with a dehumidifier.

Cheers--Ray the Rocker...
Jason

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've no garage and I'm not planning on a sheet either! Wink

when my Alvis resto is finished, it'll be parked on the drive in all weather, just as it would when it was new.(it wouldn't of been in a garage or under a sheet when it was new)
blemishes or no blemishes, it will be used as my everyday car

jason
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had much luck with covers either. Saying that, the Austin 10 I bought had been sheeted up outside for years. I think the reason that it survived was that two very heavy tarps had been used, and any condensation much have formed between the layers of cover, rather than cover and the car.

How much do those fold-over covers cost? at least they would cover the car, and maintain an air gap between the cover and the car.

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trouble is old cars are not very water tight left out all weathers. Timber framed bodies expand & contract and water gets past the best eals even if door and window fit is good which it generally is not

Plastic type tarps are terrible when removing them wet wet and abrade paint and chrome! Not convenient either as tehy have to be carefully folded and stored

Sunlight quite degrades plastic and soft nylon too as also any elastic bits soon loose there stretch.

Not convinced as to the durabliity of the drive in types and they might blow away

An open sided car port is better than covers or nothing
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem and have spotted a guy in Hungary selling them on Ebay. They are the type with the breathable layer. you have to guess the modern size equivalent to your car, but I have just gambled £40+ on one. I agree that plastic tarps seem to do more harm than good.
Anyone with a VW Splittie, there are a couple oc custom covers for these on ebay just now.
PAUL
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about getting a small section of polytunnel to put a car in but my girlfriend said thats all I could do - think about it. Laughing
1stpop

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 'breathable' cover for my ford pop but am looking at the 'pop up' or folding covers at the moment
zagatoman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Breathable Fleece Lined Outdoor Car Covers are the best Reply with quote

If you need a great good value outdoor car cover that wont degrade in the sun and protects your car with a soft fleece the best thing is the Moltex cover. I am not an agent for them but I can thoroughly recommend them as I have them fitted to all my classics. I have used many different make of cover over the years and most seem to be rubbish, also had some bad experiences with the full weather proof ones as they trap the water and made my paintwork blister. The Moltex is by far the best as its a Breathable Fleece Lined Outdoor Car Cover so no trapped moisture.

These covers have only two agents in this country, Hamilton classics and Airflow UK but Airflow are much cheaper to buy and both list the right size cover for the Morris 8.

I like the covers so much I have just bought another for my new classic.

Good luck, Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: