classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Sealer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Sealer Reply with quote

Question.

I have read a lot of people simply spray primer straight on over filler/old paint etc but recently a few books I have looked in recommend using a 'sealer' coat first before applying primer.

I will be using Cellulose for primer and top coats.

The professionals seem to say one thing and the home restorers another. Many of our friends simply spray straight on out in the open also not using tack cloths etc.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is another issue where the more you research, the more conflicting advice you get. I'm looking at paint for mine, fortunately sealer isn't something I've had to worry about as I've taken it back to bare metal. The issue is if the new paint you put on causes a reaction with existing paint layers - I guess it depends on how much you know about the existing paint.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, there is a lot of conflicting information. A lot of books are aimed at someone wanting or aiming to get a concours finish. I am spraying a lorry that I want to look good but if there are blemishes it won't look too out of place.
peppiB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what the existing paint is. Cellulose will not cover 2K without a reaction (although 2K will cover cellulose) The commonly used barrier coating is like thick 'pink medicine' and gives off really obnoxious fumes, but it does prevent differing paints reacting with each other
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The paint that is still on the cab is a thin rubbed down layer of Johnsons Red Oxide.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always used Barcoat which is waterbased and dries very fast. A very thin coat is all that is required
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
ajlelectronics

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very best method is to use epoxy primer. That will not react and does not behave hydroscopically, unlike conventional types. No Isocyanates, so safe to spray.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the top coat is not going to applied to the primer within a few hours of priming, then I agree Epoxy is the way to go Smile

Many a respray has been spoiled weeks / months later when the moisture that primer has absorbed ( and it can only take hours) reappears as micro blisters in the top coat Sad

Exposed filler will also absorb moisture, if you can get back to bare metal where filiter has previously been applied it's worth it.

Dave
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is it ok to use epoxy primer then cellulose for the top coats?
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope so, that's what I'm doing. Although to be fair, it's not quite cellulose, it's a modern equivalent 1-pack paint in my case.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
So, is it ok to use epoxy primer then cellulose for the top coats?

Absolutely fine.

What you will find is that epoxy primer wont "fill" so you may have to use a high build primer over an epoxy primer. This is where a professional approach would be different as time is of the essence. A professional would be using a climate controlled environment and would apply a single primer, flatten and top coat, in a short space of time; we don't have that luxury, hence the different advice you may have been given.

If you do plan to strip, repair, prime and gloss in a very short space of time in non humid conditions, then an etch primer could be used rather than epoxy , or if the metal is very sound just a normal primer and then gloss.

you mentioned tack cloths in the initial post, they are a godsend in removing anything loose on the surface, combined with proper panel wipe that will not only degrease, but absorb surface moisture from filled or primed paint. both of the latter enemy's of paint tend to occur more in DIY workshops, than in a professional paint shop, and professionals allays use tack cloths and proper panel wipe (not thinners!).

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: