classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

The paint question again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
llllmikellll

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: The paint question again Reply with quote

Hi guys.

Im nearly to the stage of painting my Morris J Type, and would like to get into using the water based paint. Problem is, its not available here (Australia) over the counter, as far as I can find.
Now that we are about a year since the earlier discussion, Im interested to here the latest thoughts on the stuff from those who have used it at home, and in particular, where can I get it.

Cheers
Mike and the J
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not 100% sure, but I might just be the only one that has used WBP's on this forum. If there are any others, lets hear your comments.

I'm still positive to using WBP, and the car we did a few months ago is still perfect. Looking back, it was far easier to use than 2k. But (and a big but at that) I think that for the time being at least, I'm going to stay with PPG's 2K. Better the devil you know! Laughing

Probably the easiest thing for you to do is to import from the US, which is what we did. However, dont forget that a number of major manufacturers are using this paint now, so assuming you use a modern standard colour, its feasible to think that it should be available through one of those.

UJ
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like good advice
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike

Is there a particular reason why you want to use WBP? I have just painted a morris Minor in 2K ( http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2733&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15 ) its only the 4th car I have painted and the 2nd in 2K, the first 2 were in cellulose, and I found 2K easier to paint with, also now as 3M do the 28 day disposable masks for about £17 its affordable to do a one off job.

Certainly in the UK many of the mobile minor scratch and dent guys use WBP, so if its in the US and UK I'd be surprised if its not in your neck of the world?

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose that if I was living in a built up area, and had neighbours, then probably the main reason for using WBP's would be the fact that they are low odour, ie neighbour friendly.

UJ
llllmikellll

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again. A bit surprised there hasnt been more painting activity over the past year.
I have been searching for suppliers in the US, but not having much luck finding them.
Uncle Joe, could you list the suppliers that you have found?
So far I only have: autoaircolors.com, and automotivepaintsupplies.co.uk

As for using WBP;
1. It seems logical to start with that which is new rather than old and becoming obsolete.
2. I’m working at home and in the open, so the more robust the system the better. The WBP seems like the most robust system to me for the particular situation.
3. This will be an everyday use vehicle, so I prefer paint that is tough and flexible to one that is hard and brittle.
4. The Morris J wobbles like a jelly, so the paint needs to do the same.
5. I don’t like the high gloss finish that 2k gives.
6. I am not an experienced painter, so prefer that which seems easier.
7. I’m curious to see what its like to use.

As far as the neighbours are concerned, it’s not an issue. I would not use 2k in the present location, but the odour is only transitory and does not occur very often.

The local industry is using this paint, but the manufacturers only supply direct to the factory, not for over the counter sales to the public.

Cheers,
Mike
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used paint from AAC. It cost less to buy and import than it would have done to have bought locally. Biggest problem there was that it took time to get here, as it has to be shipped surface mail.

As far as painting outside goes, the biggest problem is dust and insects. These must be kept away in some way. WBP is worse in this respect, as it does take longer to dry. It is easier to spray than 2K though, as it flows better.

2K, as well as WBP can have any amount of shine that is required, from matt to toffee apple.

UJ
richard 2509

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi...if you are going to paint outside then wouldnt cellulose be the best option as it goes off very quickly and there wouldnt be such a problem with insects etc landing in your fresh paint.....
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, years ago, I have painted outside with Celly, but it didnt stop bugs and dust getting onto the surface.....

Curiously, I find celly to be more difficult to use than the others....

UJ
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:

As far as painting outside goes, the biggest problem is dust and insects. These must be kept away in some way. WBP is worse in this respect, as it does take longer to dry. It is easier to spray than 2K though, as it flows better.

UJ

Hi UJ

Curious as to your comment on 2K not flowing as well as WBP, given the huge range of thinners availble and ratio tolerance
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK, the WBP that we used was sprayed on straight from the can, with no need for thinners or whatever they use, and had a good flow.

I know that it is possible to change the characteristics of paint, but maybe that something that shouldnt be tried at the first respray?

UJ
richard 2509

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard 2509 wrote:
hi...if you are going to paint outside then wouldnt cellulose be the best option as it goes off very quickly and there wouldnt be such a problem with insects etc landing in your fresh paint.....

....meant to say that cellulose goes off in under an hour against 2k which goes off in at least 4-5 depending what accelerator is used...less time for bugs to land in it with celly...also still cant find a wbp that doesnt need a lacquer over it?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As UK quite rightly pointed out, 2k can be made to go of very quickly due to the range of thinners available. Way quicker than Cellulose, if you know your own capabilities.

As regards the top coat for WBP. If you are trying to save money, then a lot can be saved by doing all the prep yourself. This can include stripping the body down to bare metal. If you take a bare metal car to the painters, then how do you do it without flash or surface rust appearing? Easy. Paint it first! In this instance, all of your neighbours will appreciate that you have used WBP's!

Then the paint covered car can be taken to the painter for the top coat, to be done in a controlled environment.

UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: