classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Reproduction enamel signs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds'
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reproduction enamel signs Reply with quote

There will be many out there who, like me, collect a bit of automobilia including enamel signs. I have noticed a very worrying but probably inevitable trend in the marketing of reproduction signs. On a couple of occasions recently I have sent questions asking for clarification on whether a sign is in fact a known reproduction, the ebay advert being unclear to say the least. I have found another today which could be awarded ten out of ten for creative writing but fails to use the word REPRODUCTION which the item quite clearly is. Caveat Emptor indeed but an extra line asking the simple question: Reproduction YES or NO would solve the problem in one fell swoop. Could all forum contributors highlight suspicious or unclear items when they occur.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be a problem, agreed.

Anyone who intends to "out" a (believed to be) repro item, which isn't described as such, needs to be very sure of what they're claiming before doing so.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall at Beaulieu a few years back seeing a lovely enamel sign in superb condition and upon asking was told it was 100% original. The price tag was quite high and with mobile internet I had a quick look at ebay, needless to say it definitely wasn't original as their were many exactly the same listed.
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately 'Outing' anyone on ebay itself is almost impossible. Over the years I have been buying on ebay they seem to have vastly reduced their response to items which infringe their rules and will often ignore reports of such. It is also fair to say that some ads do contain the correct information and hence meet the requirements but provides this information in a deliberately ambiguous way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds' All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: