classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

6v dynamo on my Series M8 might not working, how to test?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
zagatoman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: 6v dynamo on my Series M8 might not working, how to test? Reply with quote

Hi all, me again with probably an easy request.

I have a feeling that my 6v dynamo on my Series M8 is not working, would anyone know a very easy way of testing. I have no experience with electrics or any fancy electrical testing equipment. I do have bulbs and wire.

Please remember a picture tells a thousand words.

Thanks, Paul
47Jag

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the headlights brighten when you rev up the engine? This is a quick test.

You can buy a cheap multimeter for a fiver. Check out EBay item 201513705614. It even has a 10 amp scale.

The dynamo is 3 brush type which means that you adjust the output by moving the 3rd brush. If you look at the dynamo it will have two brushes 180 degrees apart. Then about 10 to 15 degrees away (probably from the top brush) there will be a thinner brush with the holder mounted on a slot. This is the brush that determines the current that the Dynamo delivers.

With your new DVM you can connect it to the negative (black) lead to the Dynamo output terminal and the red to the casing of the dynamo. Start the engine and see what that shows and get back to us.

Art
goneps

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an ammeter on the instrument panel. Does it show a charge when you rev the engine? Does the charge rate increase when you move the lighting switch to the second (winter) position?

Richard
zagatoman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason that I suspect the dynamo not working is because the ammeter not changing or the lights not getting brighter when reeving the engine. I just want to make sure before removing and getting sorted. I will try and get hold of a multimeter and do the test Art suggested.

Paul
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried motoring it by disconnecting leads and loosening fan belt by jumping both D & F terminals to the battery feed (not earth)
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
goneps

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not charging at all then the cause might be as simple as a broken or loose third brush wire.

Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: