classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Engine rebuild 1928 Humber 9/20 Saloon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
whiteair43

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Engine rebuild 1928 Humber 9/20 Saloon Reply with quote

This is my first post in the Forum, can anyone advise please? My old Humber is dropping oil from the engine breather any suggestions before I rip the engine apart, compressions appear to be good on the handle, always starts first time, a little smoke on start up and does use oil, there appears to be piston slap at higher rpm but I put this down to being a long stroke engine. Can any one recommend an engine rebuilders preferably in Hampshire or thereabouts.
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have the inlet over exhaust valve configuration?
Oil dropping from the engine breather would suggest crankcase compression caused by blow by from the rings. Early engines did not have the cleverest oil control rings - some had effectively nothing and I am not familiar with your engine. It may well be that it needs nothing more than rings and at about £10.00 a ring that would be a lowish cost start. Try talking to Thorntons at Shrewsbury (no connection etc) they are very knowledgeable and will help and advise if they can.
whiteair43

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Engine rebuild 1928 Humber 9/20 Saloon Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick reply and advice Paul, yes it does have inlet over exhaust valve configuration, cost will be a big consideration so I'll give Thorntons a call tomorrow and see what they say.
whiteair43

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Engine rebuild 1928 Humber 9/20 Saloon Reply with quote

Hi Paul, tried Thorntons as you suggested they only have pistons but I didn't ask if they were oversize etc but it is a starting point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: