classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

standard 10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
robo0121

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: standard 10 Reply with quote

Hi all cant seem to get the indicators working on my standard 10..i know its not rocket science as there is only 4 wires replaced the flasher unit..nothing.am I missing summat...I know someone out there can help me..so please all suggestions welcome..thanks Sad
Peter_L

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never owned a Standard 10, but have had quite a few vehicles and worked on many more, so question.

Where in the scheme of things is the location where you have 4 wires ?
robo0121

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: standard 10 Reply with quote

the 4 wires are coming from the indicator arm
Peter_L

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the turn signal warning light is on the end of the indicator switch the 4 wires may be as per drawing. A simple multimeter will prove what bits of the circuit are working at the switch.

robo0121

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: standard 10 Reply with quote

thanks Peter
robo0121

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: standard 10 Reply with quote

Still no joy on indicators .any other tips out there..getting really frustrating now it should be so easy I know..but it aint.so any suggestions will be welcomed..thanks
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: standard 10 Reply with quote

robo0121 wrote:
Still no joy on indicators .any other tips out there..getting really frustrating now it should be so easy I know..but it aint.so any suggestions will be welcomed..thanks

Do you have a multimeter ? Also find a small wattage 12v bulb and attach two fairly long electrical wires. If at all possible attach a crocodile clip to the end of them.

With these two items, electrical problems can go from guessing to logic.

I have known those who waste a lot of time and get really frustrated. by swapping bulbs, switches, and other bits in a haphazard attempt to find the fault. Logic and a notebook makes the task easier.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be testing for power at each (indicator) bulb holder, with the switch in the relevant "on" position, using a test lamp or better a multimeter, then working my way back up the line to the flasher relay, and then back to the switch, to see if there's at least power circulating as it should.

I assume all the connections have been checked and cleaned up as necessary?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
I'd be testing for power at each (indicator) bulb holder, with the switch in the relevant "on" position, using a test lamp or better a multimeter, then working my way back up the line to the flasher relay, and then back to the switch, to see if there's at least power circulating as it should.

I assume all the connections have been checked and cleaned up as necessary?

RJ

Hi Rick and Robo. Not wishing to be a "yawn" about this. But I would begin the troubleshooting at the known source of the circuitry, which on many such circuits may be an ignition switch fed fuse. From there it would go to the flasher unit. Bridge the flasher unit an operate the switch. If the left and right lights come on, then the flasher is suspect. If not, test circuit at switch common and then on each output.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: