classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Talk to me about battery chargers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Kleftiwallah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Talk to me about battery chargers. Reply with quote

The battery on my old van has gone flat through non-use. Fitted the extaension cable and the charger (bought from Halfords, Bath in 1974ish),

Now, as the battery is as flat as flatcould be, I thought the ammeter would be up there in the 5s or 6s but it is just off the bottom stop. I thought a flat battery would have soaked up the amps, so why isn't it at a higher reading?

Tis working, I can hear it buzzing internally. Perplext of Wiltshire.

Cheers, Tony. Confused
Kleftiwallah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Apology... Reply with quote

I realise this isn't stricktly "restoration" in the normal sence of the word, but I'm trying to restore my battery to fully charged!

Cheers, Tony. Very Happy
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
What are the electrolyte levels in the cells?

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Kleftiwallah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of those new fangled sealed cell/unit jobbies.

Cheers, Tony.
D4B

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As batteries get old and deteriorate through lack of use or old age, lead falls off the plates, builds up and will eventually short out between plates,
this could be why the charger won't do what you expect, if the batteries had it....

To check if this is the case, a drop test would be required, using something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6V-12V-100Amp-Car-Van-Auto-Battery-Load-Drop-And-Charging-System-Tester-452107-/291534070121?hash=item43e0c8e169:g:8qwAAOSwqbZXFKk4

The charger might eventually show a reading if you leave it a while longer?
petelang

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have run it to completely dead flat, a trickle charger will not be man enough to get it started again. I've had this problem a few times when an interior light got left on.
Only procedure for a quick fix is to connect another battery via jump leads and give it a bit of a boost from the alternator from another motor. Once you have just started the process with about ten minutes of running you can then leave your trickle charger on overnight and it should be OK.
Other option is take it to a battery shop and get them to put it on a fast charger.
Voltage equals electrical "pressure" and you need a bit of pressure to start, like blowing up a balloon. It gets easy once it's started but resistance then grows as it becomes charged.
Peter
47Jag

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony,

The 'New fangled sealed jobbies' usually do have filler caps but they are hidden under a plastic sticker. They have to get filled with acid somehow.

If a battery is left in a discharged state a condition called sulfation sets in where the plates harden with lead sulphate. There is no know/proven way of recovering from this state and replacement or replacing would be the way to go IMHO.

Art
Kleftiwallah

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for all those informative replies. As my old van has only months of wear left in it...I don't think I'll bother to invest in a new battery but just flog on.

Thanks once again. Cheer, Tony. Surprised
kevin2306

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a unit similar to this wired into the Singers batter

http://www.ringautomotive.com/uk/products/Cars/Battery+Care/SmartChargers/RSC601

As it is hard wired and uses a plug and socket between car and charger it only takes seconds to plug in once parked in the garage. Ensures a charged battery every time the vehicle is needed.

Well worth the investment

Kevin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: