classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Any Citroen DS fans in the house?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ellis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Citroen DS is an artform and an icon but, sadly, I have not had the pleasure of either driving or been a passenger in one.

Why is there such less enthusiasm for the CX which replaced the DS?
I have been a passenger in one of those, thirty years ago and that was supremely comfortable.

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
emmerson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellis wrote:
A Citroen DS is an artform and an icon but, sadly, I have not had the pleasure of either driving or been a passenger in one.

Why is there such less enthusiasm for the CX which replaced the DS?
I have been a passenger in one of those, thirty years ago and that was supremely comfortable.

Ellis, I ended my Citroen Period with a CX, and it was a very good car, but somehow it just didn't have the "Citroen-ness" of the DS. Just a bit too bland and almost conventional. After all, it did have THREE normal looking pedals!
52classic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well well, so Emmerson bought an ex HTV Safari! I remember those in service when I started work there in 1974. I think the Maroon and Grey one was the last and AIRC the bonnet rack was stored behind the Transport Manager's office when not on a mission.

The car was kept 'front of house' at Pontcanna and certainly looked the part of a prestige reception.

By the time I started Citroens were being replaced by white Volvo 145s with the HTV logo on the doors, then 245s painted all over silver and reflex blue - a gesture towards the ITV colour service I think!

Those cars carried a splendid Arriflex camera 16mm and had sound recording facilities as well. The 'mute' film crew got a Maxi.

Happy days. I've stashed my old staff parking sticker carefully removed from my last HTV company car. Destined for my 2002 when I finish it.
emmerson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

52classic wrote:
Well well, so Emmerson bought an ex HTV Safari! I remember those in service when I started work there in 1974. I think the Maroon and Grey one was the last and AIRC the bonnet rack was stored behind the Transport Manager's office when not on a mission.

The car was kept 'front of house' at Pontcanna and certainly looked the part of a prestige reception.

By the time I started Citroens were being replaced by white Volvo 145s with the HTV logo on the doors, then 245s painted all over silver and reflex blue - a gesture towards the ITV colour service I think!

Those cars carried a splendid Arriflex camera 16mm and had sound recording facilities as well. The 'mute' film crew got a Maxi.

Happy days. I've stashed my old staff parking sticker carefully removed from my last HTV company car. Destined for my 2002 when I finish it.

Great memories, eh? Not been that way for years, but are the Pontcanna studios still there?
My Citroens were looked after by a guy called Joe Nethercott, who owned JHN Motors in Penarth, latterly in Newport. Sadly dead now, my spate of Citroenism pretty much ended when he died, as I wouldn't trust anyone else with such complex cars.
52classic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the good feeling of a trip down memory lane! Fact is that the Pontcanna studio is long gone, replaced by housing and incredibly the HTV 'Media Centre' built at great expense in Culverhouse Cross during the 80's has also been demolished recently, again for housing. These days you could run a TV channel from your garage!

I remember that Citroen dealer in Penarth, very good reputation at a time when looking after such cars was very much considered a black art. My own contact for this Gallic oddball was John Healey Motors in Swansea (Town Hill)
I did a TV ad campaign for him featuring 2CV and GS. I expect I still have a 35mm film print of it somewhere - Never throw anything away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: