classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Smiths Instruments, current supplier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
MrWhite

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Smiths Instruments, current supplier. Reply with quote

Anyone used these people; http://www.caigauge.com/ ?
I assumed Smiths were no more but it seems not, the site talks a good game but I would be interested to now how much "Smiths" they actually are, anyone any experience?
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a couple of their minor gauges to add to my Herald. They've been in the business for a few years now and as far as I can see the gauges are identical to OE in appearance. They haven't failed (yet!) and presented no problems in fitting. I've fitted plenty of worse parts.
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link to Smiths is explained here: http://www.caigauge.com/history-of-cai

It all looks above board:

"The automotive instrumentation business was sold to Lucas back in 1984. Lucas introduced wiring harness manufacture to the Ystradgynlais factory and relocated instrumentation, a few miles down the road, to Abercrave. Whilst under management ownership and renamed Caerbont Automotive Instruments Ltd (CAI), the Abercrave factory continues to produce Smiths instruments today, with original tooling and authentic designs. CAI is officially licensed by Smiths in the UK and they own the Smiths brand in North America"

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
MrWhite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the Website looked and sounded good, I just had no idea you could still get this stuff. I found a Temp sensor for my car on E.Bay and the guy is local to me and says he is an agent for Smiths. I noticed some of his other stuff has CAI's details on it, so I guess that's who supplies him.
Next question for me is will a 2017 Smiths temp sender be exactly the same as a 1964, I tend to think it's worth a shot, especially as it's cheaper than most Classic parts suppliers Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: