classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Magazines - do you bother?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
emmerson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do some mags call themselves "Practical ******" when there's nothing practical in them?
Anyone else remember when Practical Motorist was just that?
And, yes like everyone else, I have thousands of old mags about the place (including March 1939 Practical Motorist with a "first impression" of the Volkswagen.), but what does one do with them?
badhuis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmerson wrote:
And, yes like everyone else, I have thousands of old mags about the place (including March 1939 Practical Motorist with a "first impression" of the Volkswagen.), but what does one do with them?

Of course I am in the same situation. I bought and kept magazines because they contained information I thought I might need in the future. Information was hard to get by.
Then internet surprised us all and I never ever have looked back in the old magazines. They do have, as Rick shows in another topic, nice advertisements and such. So they are kept in boxes buried away somewhere deep where they still will be in ten years time I suspect.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to buy Practical Classics, Popular Classics, Classic Car, Classic and thoroughbred, Old Motor, the Automobile, etc. etc.etc. but gradually I reduced it down to my subscription to The Automobile magazine.

As a member of the Swallow Register I still get the Austin Seven magazine and as an Hon. Life Member of the JDC, I get 'Jaguar Driver' for free. I have dozens of the Jag magazines and would now like to be rid, really.

I have in fact given up my subscription to The Automobile Magazine following a ding dong with the assistant Editor over hot rods and his misrepresenting what I actually said. I also find the change in font difficult to read and the price is getting silly now so it wasn't that difficult a decision. I do in fact have every copy since it's inception in 1983 and I am thinking of selling the collection.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
I have in fact given up my subscription to The Automobile Magazine following a ding dong with the assistant Editor over hot rods and his misrepresenting what I actually said.

Ooh, I did a similar thing with a one-make car club that isn't (genuinely) related to Vauxhalls. I got about the fifth copy of a monthly newsletter with a load of typos and spelling mistakes in it, sufficient that it made it difficult to read. So I wrote in and offered to do a "read-through" prior to publication, explained that as someone who wrote newsletters I understood how difficult it was to spot things in your own text, time is short and so on, really constructive or so I thought. By the time my letter was printed, all the helpful bits had gone and only the criticism remained. Needless to say, next issue contained a load of letters from his acolytes defending him, which I'd already said pre-edit. Oh well.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a bit rum Mike, clubs can be odd places though so I'm not entirely surprised.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't buy magazines regularly any more, and I had to think why that is ! ....roll back a few years before we had the internet, it wasn't just the articles that were of interest, but mags also provided contact details for suppliers and services, adverts ; "for sale & wanted" club info etc etc.

Now much of this has largely been superseded by the internet.

If I see something of particular interest I may purchase a mag; I may have bought 1 or 2 this year...

All that said I broke my ankle a couple of days ago, so may be on the look for a read !

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:

All that said I broke my ankle a couple of days ago, so may be on the look for a read !

Dave

Just in time for Christmas! Rolling Eyes
RogerB

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re The Practical Motorist magazine.

I collect these magazines; I have some from 1938 to 1939 + the first issues in 1955. A friend of mine has a collection form the first edition to about mid 1936

I find them very useful for the research I do on various motoring accessories
which were being sold in those far off days.

If any Forum reader wants their Practical Motorist magazines to have a good home email me please.

RogerB

roger 9 5 2 brown at hotmail dot co dot uk
Richard H

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only really read The Automobile every month now.

Used to read Practical/Popular Classics but PC has really gone downhill since Bauer took over, and due to reasons I'm not going to go into here, I refuse to buy any Bauer titles now. Occasionally I'll buy a Classics Monthly or Classic Car Buyer if there's a particular article that grabs my attention.

Picked up a copy of Classic Motoring mag recently. Throughout, the mag was littered with spelling and grammatical errors. Apostrophes in the wrong place all over the shop, and in the subtitle of their main restoration feature, they had mispelled 'Dolomite' as 'Domolite'. I mean, does anyone proof read that magazine at all? I used to work for The Automobile and saw first-hand the effort that goes into maintaining the high standards. Proof reading everything six times, anyone?
winchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't find them good value any more
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: