classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Ebay Feedback
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
GARAGE HERMIT

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith D wrote:
I have never sold anything on ebay. I always sell on Gumtree. When I buy through ebay I am amused by being told that I will receive a good feedback. What stupidity! If my money had not be received by the seller, I would not have been sent the goods!

Keith

ebay own's gumtree,
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of fraud on ebay car listings,usually using hijacked genuine accounts. They usually ask a prospective buyer to contact them direct by e-mail or a phone number to get a special price or before using a buy it now.
The feedback system is fatally flawed,you cannot leave bad feedback for a buyer so they all have 100% and to leave poor feedback for a seller who lets you down you have to jump through more hoops than Olga Korbutt.
The whole things a joke.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most things in life run their course and become outdated, I wonder how long it will be before Ebay is replaced by something else?
badhuis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
Most things in life run their course and become outdated, I wonder how long it will be before Ebay is replaced by something else?

I remember buying Exchange & Mart for the car ads in the mid eighties. There were rows and rows of Commer vans and those small Bedford vans.
Then, at least around London, LooT the yellow ad paper was very popular. Later they also put their ads on internet - I bought a car from a LooT ad in 2000. From then on Ebay became big.
There are the local markets - in the Netherlands we have marktplaats.nl which is more successful than Ebay. According to my brother who works at eBay, they are buying up the various local internet market places such as Gumtree in the UK, Marktplaats in the Netherland and Mobile.de in Germany.

Other auction sites are getting more popular like Catawiki. I do not like those because they are not clear regarding Reserve Price, and extra costs for the seller.

eBay still is a pretty good medium I think for old cars and car parts.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tend to knock things that become popular!

I first used eBay some 20 years ago, then searching for MGA parts a simple search "MGA" would have produced circa 25 listings, nearly all would be in the USA, they would all be private listings and due to the few bidders in most cases a bargain, apart from shipping costs to the U.K!

These days the same search produces some 120,000 listings, many are fixed price, new items, the used items tend to have many bidders..

Have we progressed or not ?

Dave
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay is huge at the end of the day and would take a lot to be overcome by another medium.
I still find it a shame at autojubles when you make an offer on an item only to be refused as they would make more if listed on ebay!
GARAGE HERMIT

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
Ebay is huge at the end of the day and would take a lot to be overcome by another medium.
I still find it a shame at autojubles when you make an offer on an item only to be refused as they would make more if listed on ebay!

if they could make more on ebay, why are they trying to sell at an autojumble, lying git's,
i know what i would say to them,****off,
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather take cash for parts or tools Im selling than go through the hassle of listing,waiting then posting and having to factor in ebays and paypals fees plus the aggro if the things go missing or the buyer changes their mind.
Ebay is not the be all and end all that it was.
I advertised a load of one off and odd tools on there and facebook, I sold next to nothing. I took them to a car boot and the lot went.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: