classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Photobucket, Flickr et al
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
lowdrag

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Photobucket, Flickr et al Reply with quote

I know we thought we had done this to death, and yes I opened a Flickr account when Photobucket went stupid, but now the wheel turns yet again and this morning I received an email from Flickr saying that they will now reduce the free account to 1,000 photos maximum. I guess for many people that will be fine, but not for me. Grr! Where to now?
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Postimage?
Penguin45

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought the direction hosting is moving is pretty obvious, so pick the one you find easiest to use and pay.

P45.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been posting quite a lot onto Flickr, and still have fewer than 1000 images on there. For forums that support it, I've also been trying to upload photos onto that forum rather than using an external link, in the case of build threads it makes it less likely they'll disappear at some point in the future. The Photobucket "situation" made me do that.

I guess these things cost money somewhere along the line, and those who want to share a large number of photos either have to pay someone, or host themselves. I've got a web site and some hosting, so I guess I could probably do something myself.
JohnDale

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Photobucket, Flickr et al Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
I know we thought we had done this to death, and yes I opened a Flickr account when Photobucket went stupid, but now the wheel turns yet again and this morning I received an email from Flickr saying that they will now reduce the free account to 1,000 photos maximum. I guess for many people that will be fine, but not for me. Grr! Where to now?

Hi, PB is up & running again with three options to pay,the cheapest works out at $48 collected annually(monthly possible). I logged in for a look about & up came a button asking if I wished to restore my account. I restored my account & popped on 4/5 pix which went on as normal. So far I haven't offered any payment so will see what happens,cheers,JD.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, PB is back and running and allowing usage for forum posts and the like, albeit with a big "Proudly hosted on Photobucket" watermark across each image.
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I suspect that people would be more likely to pay if the Hosting sites inserted watermarks and ONLY allowed downloading when a specific code generated photo owners was entered. while allowing the link system as it currently works to show without the watermark.
This could go a long way to stem the pirating of images.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have paid PB $1.99 a month for around 10 years, and for that they have some obligations to me, which meant I wasn't affected when they limited forum access for users who went for the free service.

As I have stated before, the way FB tried to resolve its financial problems was very crude and has potentially lost the future fee paying customers, however I have some empathy with their commercial challenge; storage is a pretty predictable cost and can probably be covered by advertising revenue, however network costs per "photo" are variable, if someone posts a really popular thread on this site and there are pictures, PB will incur network costs every single time the thread is viewed, I suspect this cost can't be recovered with aggregated advertising revenue, hence the issue.

Would anyone on this forum be prepared to pay a charge each time their picture on a thread was viewed I suspect not.

Dave
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
I suspect that people would be more likely to pay if the Hosting sites inserted watermarks and ONLY allowed downloading when a specific code generated photo owners was entered. while allowing the link system as it currently works to show without the watermark.
This could go a long way to stem the pirating of images.

The trouble is, once the image is displayed by your browser, it's already downloaded onto your computer. Plenty of places offer different ways of serving different resolutions of image and that might go some way toward what you suggest - so the forum would only see a small version, but when you click on it you get an option to download a better version.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to tread on any toes here, but Pistonheads have a system using Thumbsnap where you can upload a photo direct from your computer, obviating the need for a third party. Rick, could we not use the same?
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
I don't want to tread on any toes here, but Pistonheads have a system using Thumbsnap where you can upload a photo direct from your computer, obviating the need for a third party. Rick, could we not use the same?

And who do think pays for this?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted about this when the subject came up a little while ago. Putting to one side the time it'd take to incorporate something workable into the forum, you end up in territory that can potentially require the site operator to have responsibility for the type of images that users upload, which would be an overhead I simply couldn't take on. Alas I don't have the resources of Haymarket Media Group in by back office to see these ideas brought to fruition, it's just me sat here on my tod in the spare bedroom Smile

With so many workable hosting options out there, is it really such an imposition to spend a few minutes registering and getting to grips with one of them?

In an ideal world, yes there'd be an integrated photo hosting option, but as the situation is right now, it won't happen any time soon. Sorry.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
JohnDale

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbsnap is free to join & use including posting pix to a forum. To join you need a twitter account. If you don't have one you can get one for free at twitter.
one way of getting more people on to twitter? I'm afraid I'm not on any social media sites any where. Apart from not seeing the benefit I'm far too busy & don't have the time,cheers,JD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: