classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

car batteries
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure UJ, after all, buzzy advocates maximum cranking oomphhh while maintaining olde worlde looks, that seems pretty practical to me, and he's younger than most on here. Not sure that being older necessarily makes one wiser really!

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, assuming that a monern technology battery in a hard rubber case is available, then yes, I can almost accept it....until it comes to paying for it.

I can get an original style battery for my 300, but its 2 or 3 times the price of a modern style one. Therefore, in my humble opinion, a waste of money. Money that I would prefer to spend on other things....The only time a battery is seen is if you lift the bonnet to show someone....that is assuming the battery is under the bonnet. Take for example a Sunbeam Alpine. Its under the back seat in that car, so nobody will ever see it anyway..... Very Happy

Rick, your answer does show that you are younger......you teenagers!!!! Laughing

UJ
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this firm;

http://www.shepherdbatteries.co.uk/

They make batteries and put it in wht ever sort of case you want, I have a 6V one for my Morris 8 which has 50% more capacity (Cranking current) than original and its in an old style case.

Dave
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigtin wrote:

Anyone who drove in the 50s or 60s will remember how short their life (and capacity) was. Even worse if you had a 6v system and had to use the car for work on a frosty morning.

Don.

This reply is a bit late in the day but I guess it's a common question.

The hard rubber batteries that you can buy today are built using modern plate technology and therefor give much higher capacity than the same sized battery from the past. I have just replaced the one in my car and went back to the same supplier (D.B.Wilson) and complained that the previous one had only lasted 13 years but they were not sympathetic and I had to pay for the replacement. Wink

The only down side is that you risk acid spillage with unsealed batteries.

If you don't want to shatter the illusion of being back in time then don't fit
any modern looking components in old cars.

Peter
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

We had a 6V battery fall over and spill, made the top of my battery a bit funy, but thankfully when refilled with acid, it works ok.

Cheers

Dave
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding price, I bought a 6v 72 amp hour hard rubber case with open lead cell links, from Shepard Batteries for £52, a modern cased 58 amp hour battery from our local (and keenly priced) tyre shop was £44. Pic below is one of thier 12v classic batteries.

So if you by direct from a manufacturer like Shepard I don't think you will spend any more, also they will build you a lead acid battery to any spec physically possible, as I’m sure other battery manufacturers who deal direct will.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: